Chapter eighty six - Asgard, again

Start from the beginning

"We're going to get the stone, Tony. But yes, I will come home. Don't worry about me, okay?" you told him, putting your hand on his arm and smiling at him reassuringly. He didn't look convinced.

Everyone had their own Quantum suit; within minutes you were all suited up and walking towards the raised glass platform. Nerves, excitement and downright fear were coursing through you in equal measures; mostly you were nervous about how Thor was going to react when you got to Asgard.

You were slightly concerned about how you were going to react too. Rocket was coming with you and Thor, which you didn't know whether to be relieved or annoyed about. Tony, Steve, Bruce and Scott were going to New York, 2012, and Nat, Clint, Nebula and Rhodey were going to space, 2014.

No one spoke as you formed a circle on the platform. You tried to think about anything but the stakes of this mission. They were as high as they could possibly be.

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Find the stones; get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know, but that doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're gonna win. Whatever it takes. Good luck." Steve said in determination, aiming the last part at Tony, who nodded.

"He's pretty good at that." Rocket commented, looking at Steve, breaking the tension massively. You smiled, deciding that you were glad he was coming with you.

"Right?!" Scott said, looking for all the world like an excited nine year old on Christmas morning.

"All right, you heard the man. Stroke those keys, jolly green." Tony said to Bruce, before looking over to you and winking. You smiled at him nervously, trying to get your heart rate under control.

"Tractors engaged." Bruce told everyone, looking up.

"See you in a minute." Nat said to Steve, before smiling at you in excitement and putting her helmet up.

You smiled back at her, before following suit and then turning your head to look at Thor. He was swaying on the spot. You took his hand and squeezed it tightly.

You were so nervous that you hardly paid attention to what happened next. You only knew that there was a flash of light and a burst of energy, and then you went Quantum. Scott and Clint had explained to you all what it would be like in minute detail, but nothing could have prepared you for the sensation of hurtling through the Quantum realm.

The only thing that you could even vaguely compare it to was travelling by Bifrost. Times a million.

It only lasted for a few seconds, and then your feet hit solid ground. You let go of Thor's hand to steady yourself and opened your eyes. The rush of nostalgia you experienced as you did rendered you unable to do anything but stand and stare.

It had worked. You were stood in the west wing of the palace on Asgard. Homesickness overcame you with such force that you were momentarily rooted to the spot, unmoving, your mouth open slightly.

Overcoming the initial shock you'd felt, you rediscovered the ability to move suddenly and stumbled forward as though in a trance, over to the gap in the wall which looked out over all of Asgard.

"Y/N? Y/N, come on, pull it together." Rocket was saying to you. You ignored him, tears filling your eyes as you hungrily took in the view before you.

Home.

A sudden, sharp pain lanced through the back of your leg and you gasped in discomfort, turning the look down. Rocket had hit you in the calf with the device he was holding which would collect the Aether from Jane.