Pinky Promise Part 16

Start from the beginning

"You need help?" she asked.  No, try the lights though; think I got it," he told her.  

Flipping the light at the top of the steps Beth smiled when the basement was flooded with light.  "Alright we ain't gonna use a lot of light, don't want to attract anything, but it's there if we need it," he said coming up the steps back into the kitchen.

Contemplating she moved to the kitchen sink turning on the water.  After spitting and sputtering the water ran smooth.  Turning the knobs for hot she squealed, "We've got hot water!  Oh, I'm taking a shower tonight," she declared.  

Glancing outside Daryl went to the back door, "Why don't you go do that?  I'm gonna check out the other barn, see what may be useful out there."

"Are ya sure?  I can help ya outside," she offered.  Shaking his head he smiled at her, "Go on and relax for a bit."

Smiling she nodded, "After I'm done I'll get something going for dinner then too," she told him heading for the hall to go upstairs.

Climbing the steps she headed for her old room.  Stepping inside she sighed looking around.  Everything was just as it was the day they were run off the farm. 

Going to her dresser she pulled it open and blinked back tears when she saw her own underwear, "Crying over underwear," she muttered rolling her eyes as she grabbed a pair out.

After spending way too long in the shower Beth dressed in her own clothes instead of one's stolen from various houses and slipped on a pair of sneakers.  Her boots she decided would be trashed as they were basically falling apart.  Besides being a southern girl she had another pair in the closet.

Stepping out of her room she headed down the hall to the steps pausing as she passed Maggie' room.  Making a decision she pushed the door open and stepped inside.  Going immediately for her sister's nightstand she yanked the bottom drawer open.

Taking everything out she then pulled the false bottom up and smiled when she found her sister's stash of condoms and birth control, "God bless my sneak of a sister," she mumbled, grabbing the box of condoms.  

Replacing everything she stood and headed for the door when the bag and guitar sitting in the corner of Maggie's room caught her attention.  

Hurrying back to her room she threw the condoms into her own nightstand before heading back to Maggie's room.  Picking up Glenn's old bag and guitar she took them with her back down to the dining room.  Placing the items on the dining room table she decided anything on the table would be going back to the prison with them.

Glancing around she sighed.  Right before they had lost the farm Rick's group had started moving their stuff into the house.  The downstairs rooms were littered with various bags, blankets, and Tupperware containers.  It would take awhile to go through everything and then to also go through the upstairs and the food left in the kitchen and basement.

Deciding food was more important in the moment she headed into the kitchen to see what she could throw together for their dinner.

Opening the pantry she searched through pulling various cans and boxes out that they'd be able to use at the prison.  Pulling out a can of premade chili and a can of sliced potatoes she found the hand can opener in a drawer before dumping the cans into two pots.  Turning the burners on she pulled spices out of the cabinet and added some to the potatoes.

She had gone through the kitchen pantry and had set everything to take back with them on the counters when Daryl came through the door with scraps of plywood, "Smells good," he commented, setting the wood down.

Pulling out her mama's reusable grocery bags she set them on the counter, "Chili and potatoes," she told him, "I have them on simmer so we can eat whenever.  Before I pack this stuff how many days do you think we'll be here?  And what are ya doin with the wood?" she asked, pulling out two bowls and plates for their dinner.