Chapter 16.

Zayn was alone in the break room waiting for Harry to finish his meeting with Niall. He swung his feet back and forth while he sat on the kitchen counter. It was a rather odd place for him to sit, considering there was a sofa only a few feet away, but oh well. He scarfed down crisps that he found hidden in the counter - probably Niall's secret stash. He had been avoiding eating too unhealthily lately, knowing every day he'd have to remove his shirt for he and Harry's photo shoot, but now that they were finished with it he planned on eating whatever the hell he wanted to.

His phone buzzed in his pocket and the screen lit up with a new message from Harry. He tapped out a reply, letting his mate know where he was. Only minutes later, the door cracked open and the curly haired bloke himself walked in.

"How did it go?" Zayn asked with a mouthful, wiping some crumbs off of the corners of his mouth.

"It was alright. Quite pointless considering Niall is editing my answers anyways," he rolled his eyes before leaning back against the counter opposite Zayn.

"Darling, you shouldn't be eating those," Harry said with a smirk, pointing at the bag of crisps in Zayn's hand, which was now half empty anyways.

"Oh buzz off Harry; I've been practically starving myself for weeks. How do they think a university aged lad is supposed to survive off of whole grains and carrot sticks," Zayn teased, purposely stuffing a large handful into his mouth and chewing loudly.

"You're such a chav," Harry pestered, going to the closet to collect his jacket and grab hold of his car keys. "Want a drive today, babe? It's chilly out."

Zayn refused, hastily shaking his head back and forth. "No, it's alright. The walk will do me good after eating all of this," he chuckled, lifting the bag up in the air. Although he appeared to be quite serious about not wanting a drive merely for the exercise, Harry knew the real reason he was refusing it.

"I don't have to drive you to your house, but at least let me drive you to your street?" Harry asked, stepping forward and reaching for one of Zayn's hand, intertwining their fingers between their bodies. "Look, I know you're afraid to be seen with me, and I understand. I'm just happy to know you want me around and that you let me be affectionate towards you, and give me some in return despite your fears. I really like you Zayn and I want to help you through this rough patch of trying to figure out who you really are. But please let me drive you to your house on this bloody cold evening. I just want to be a proper gentleman, even if that means I have to throw you into the passenger seat without your permission."

Zayn smiled shyly when Harry winked cheekily before glancing to their hands tangled together between them. He nodded twice and whispered an "okay" before jumping off of the countertop and pecking Harry's lips adoringly. 

"But just let me walk down my street alone. I don't want dad to catch me leaving your car." 

Harry agreed, but felt pain in his chest for his friend. He had a difficult life at home, one he didn't speak of much and Harry knew not to ask him about it. It was almost an unspoken rule between the two of them.  Zayn didn't speak of his life at home, nor did Harry ask about it. 

"Let's go then," Harry murmured, grabbing Zayn 's jacket and handing it to him. "My car's just out back."

With those words, Harry was tugging on Zayn's hand and guiding them both out of the staff room. He patted his jean pockets until he found the one with his car keys and slipped them out with his free hand, continuing their walk down the narrow corridor. 

"Night lads!" Niall said as he passed them, paperwork in hand. With only a couple of days left of the month, he and Liam had been working overtime to get the final touches done on their latest issue. It was expected to be the month that the company would finally hit it off with record sales. They were doing something different than ever done before - they were portraying a gay couple on their front cover.

"See ya mate," Zayn mumbled with a nod before they reached the back door.

They reached Harry's grey audi only a few minutes later, Zayn feeling relieved Harry was such a gentleman as soon as they stepped into the fresh air. It was damn cold. His breath fogged the air and he laughed as his younger friend blew it out in large bursts, immitating a fire breathing dragon. 

Harry's hand gripped the older boys thigh the entire drive home. Zayn felt comfortable enough to place his hand on top of the other boys and clasp their hands together, receiving a large smile from the driver. Zayn rummaged through the CD's in the dash with his free hand, searching for something good to listen to. He recognized multiple band names but wasn't familiar with their music.

"You like Coldplay?" Harry asked when Zayn finally selected a record and placed it into the stereo without asking.

"Yeah, they're not bad."

Zayn felt Harry squeeze his thigh gently as the music filled the car. Harry sang along to their hit single Viva La Vida and Zayn watched him in admiration. His voice was raw and raspy, staying in pitch as he followed the lyrics. The older boy snickered when his voice cracked on a high note and he blushed furiously as he clamped his mouth shut in embarrassment.

"Don't stop," Zayn said in a pleading voice, running his fingers along the back of Harry's hand. His words only brought a deeper shade of red to his cheeks as he stared ahead through the windshield. "I like your voice." 

Harry rolled his eyes dramatically, clucking his tongue and Zayn snickered in response. Neither spoke or sang another word for the rest of the trip, but Zayn's hand moved from it's spot on top of Harry's to the crook of the back of the curly haired boys' neck, leaning towards him.

He swirled the curls between his fingertips as they drove; sending goosebumps down Harry's back. Before  they knew it though, the two cheerful blokes were turning down the road Zayn had been dreading to see. His stomach clenched and his body shifted back to it's regular position, letting go of Harry and clenching the sides of his seat.

"Pull over right here please, babe."

Harry obeyed and pulled to the curb, turning the key in the ignition to shut off the motor. He shifted to look at Zayn, a cheeky grin plastered on his face. "Now usually I'd walk you to the door and give you a long passionate kiss, then you'd blush adorably and I'd walk away, leaving you wanting more. But since we're hiding here, you're going to have to settle for an uncomfortable kiss across the gear shift.

Zayn laughed, the sound echoing through the car and filling Harry's ears with pure bliss. He loved the sound of Zayn's laugh so much, especially times like  now when the other boy was squirming with nerves.

"Just kiss me," Zayn replied teasingly, leaning over and grabbing Harry's cheeks, connecting their lips in a passionate kiss. Harry smiled against Zayn's lips, unable to stop himself from chuckling at his sudden eagerness. Zayn took advantage of his lips parting to slip his tongue into the younger boys' mouth. Harry returned the fight for dominance, tongues clashing and alternately taking turns invading every inch of the others mouth. The older boys hands moved to clutch tightly to Harry's curls; Harry's hands cupped Zayn's cheeks, pulling him closer. He trailed kisses down Zayn's jaw, nipping and sucking eagerly, trying to avoid leaving any marks.

Harry moved back, attempting to pull the older boy onto his lap, forgetting that they were in a small, crowded space until Zayn tried to follow, his body crashing into the gear shift between them and stabbing his side. He grunted in pain, falling forward a bit, his head bumping into Harry's. 

They both cursed under their breath before Harry pushed Zayn back a little until they were both sitting comfortably again, unable to control their laughter. 

"I guess that's my cue to leave," Zayn said, his cheeks burning bright red under Harry's scrutinizing gaze. 

"Now I know I can make you blush like mad without walking you to your doorstep," Harry winked before leaning forward to peck Zayn's lips once more.

"Have a good night sweetheart," Harry said when he pulled away, staring intently into Zayn's brown eyes. 

"Call me, yeah?" 

"Of course."

With one more wave goodbye, Zayn stepped out of the car and into the chilly air. He shuffled down his street quickly with his hands shoved in his pockets, protecting them from the cold. Harry drove away, leaving him feeling alone again after such a wonderful day at the office. Truth was, Harry and the other lads were the only real friends Zayn had right now - if he could consider Liam a friend - and work was his favorite part of the day.

After a couple of minutes of walking, Zayn finally arrived at his doorstep. He breathed heavily a few times, dreading what was on the other side already. His das's car was in the driveway and he wasn't in the mood to talk. 

As soon as Zayn was inside the door and hung his leather jacket into the closet, he heard heavy footsteps shuffling towards him and turned to see his dad stumbling into the room.

"Hey shithead," his dad said sternly, an angry crease in his forehead. His footing was a little off as he stepped  closer to his son. "Where the fuck have you been?"

His face was only inches away from Zayn's when he spoke, and Zayn felt his breath getting heavier. He gulped, feeling afraid when his dad poked him violently in the chest. He flinched at his words, although it wasn't the words giving him this terrifying feeling, but the strong smell of alcohol on his father's breath.

Written by ZaynsMyBloke