Chapter eighty five - Test Run

Start from the beginning

You sat and talked for another half an hour before tiredness finally got the better of you and you went off to bed for a practically sleepless night of worrying.

...

The next day everyone was up as the sun rose.

It was odd to have eleven people in the compound; you and Nat were so used to it being just the two of you. Breakfast was an interesting affair because as it turned out you didn't have enough food for all eleven of you, so you and Tony ventured out to obtain breakfast for everyone.

Once you'd all eaten everyone got to work. Almost everyone.

Thor was sat on a bench wearing a large fishing jumper and a pair of dark sunglasses, barely awake, watching Rocket working on something underneath the raised glass platform in the centre of the testing chamber. The others had been just as shocked as Bruce when they'd seen Thor, but luckily had so far refrained from commenting on it.

"Hey." you said, sitting down next to him and waving Rocket away, who inevitably had been about to make some sort of snide remark.

"Hello." Thor said glumly.

"It won't be long now." you told him, reaching forward to push his shades up on to his forehead in order to look at him properly. There were dark bags under his eyes.

"I need a beer." he replied.

"I know, but we talked about this yesterday." you told him sympathetically.

"I know." he said sadly.

"Ratchet, how's it going?" Tony asked Rocket, striding into the room.

"It's Rocket. Take it easy, you're only a genius on Earth, pal." Rocket replied heatedly. Tony pulled a face at you as he walked past and you smiled at him, before standing up.

"I'm going to see how they're getting on. You coming?" you asked Thor, who shook his head, pushing his sunglasses back down over his eyes. You sighed quietly as you walked away, wondering how you were going to get him back on his feet.

You walked through to the side room where Scott, Bruce, Steve and Rhodey were discussing time travel. There was what you assumed to be a time travel suit carefully laid out on the side, next to a vial of something red in a glass tube.

"Time travel suit? Cool." you asked upon entering the room.

"Hey, hey, hey! Easy!" Scott stressed as Bruce leaned forwards to touch the vial.

"I'm being very careful." Bruce protested, stepping back.

"You're being very Hulk-y." Scott corrected him, moving forward to pick up the vial tenderly.

"These are Pym Particles, alright? And ever since Hank Pym got snapped out of existence, this is it. This is what we have. We're not making anymore." he told you all sternly.

"Scott, calm down." Rhodey said, motioning with his hands to suggest that he needed to chill out.

"Sorry, but we've only got enough for one round trip each. That's it. No do-overs." Scott replied.

You looked at Steve, who smiled nervously at you.

"Alright nerds, get in here." Rocket called from the other room. You all filed into the room with the raised glass platform where Rocket was fiddling with some wires.

"It's ready." he said simply. You ran to get Nat and Clint and when you returned Nebula and Tony were there too. Thor remained sat in the corner.

"All right. Here." Scott said nervously, holding the suit out to Clint, who took it and pulled it on without a word. This was a very different Clint to the one you'd used to know; you hadn't spoken to him much since he'd returned from Tokyo. You'd only heard snippets of the terrible things he'd been doing, and you weren't in a rush to find out the details.