Chapter 5

"Alright students. Today we will begin working on our project. You have your assigned genres and I hope you thought of a book over the weekend. I'll be coming around to your tables today to make sure you have one."

There were some worried grumbles from some of the students around the room. Erwin assumed they were some of the slackers who hadn't done any of the work yet which made him chuckle slightly. After the teacher finished talking, Erwin walked over to Levi's desk with Mike and Hange.

"So I was pretty busy over the weekend and haven't read any of the book yet," Hange said nervously," what did you guys accomplish?"

"Yesterday Levi and I each read the first chapter and took some notes so we could make a summary," Erwin said.

"Ooh good idea. Mike what about you?"

"I read a bit," he said shortly.

"So...do you mind if we look at your notes?" Hange asked Erwin.

"You can look at them but you can't copy them," Erwin said and pulled out his notebook," you still need to do your own work."

"I know I know," they responded," I just wanna see what you have so far."

Hange flipped through Erwin's notebook and looked over the notes he had taken the day prior.

"Not bad," they said," Levi can I see yours?"

"No."

"Aww come on Levi," Hange whined with a pout.

"We're not friends so I don't trust you," Levi responded.

"But-"

"Hange leave him alone. He doesn't have to show you his notes if he doesn't want to," Erwin interjected.

"Wouldn't it help the rest of the group though?"

"Well I think we should all be taking our own notes and all give an individual effort so we're all well versed on the book. We can share our notes eventually but we also shouldn't force it either."

"What's with you and Levi huh? Why do you two seem to have become so 'buddy buddy lately?" Hange asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Ah never mind...I'll ask you later," Hange muttered.

"Alright you guys. What book have you decided to look at for this project?" The teacher asked and walked over to their group.

"We decided on a book called Ready Player One," Hange said.

"Ah that's a good choice," he said.

The teacher wrote their book down on his notepad and then moved on to the next group's table. Erwin sighed and read through his notes.

"I guess we can't do a whole lot of work today if four eyes hasn't even read the first chapter..." Levi muttered.

"Levi you're so mean," Hange pouted.

"Well it's true."

"Let's not worry about that right now," Erwin interjected," Hange find an ebook version if you can. Mike, Levi, and I will start discussing the first chapter."

"Okie dokie."

Hange pulled out their phone and began looking for an online version of the book while Levi, Erwin, and Mike discussed their thoughts and notes on the first chapter. Levi eventually stopped paying attention to the conversation. His thoughts slowly drifted to Erwin so he looked up at the man. His eyes were a striking sky blue that also reminded him of the ocean and they seemed to sparkle whenever he discussed something he cared about. Levi felt at ease whenever he was with Erwin and they'd only just met. Something about the blonde's presence was comforting and made Levi feel safe. He wanted to get to know him more.