17: Thin White Lies

Kaitlyn POV

In the week since the BBQ, Ace rarely left my side and Killer constantly checked in on me, which means they knew about my heart condition. Otherwise, they wouldn't be treating me differently and because of it, the others did too, walking on eggshells around me, not wanting to do something wrong. I wanted to yell at them and tell them to stop worrying about me, but that would never happen.

I've never had people in my corner who care and protect me as the Riders do, and it's nice to know I have people to turn to. Ace knows I hate being treated differently, so he stayed the same. He makes me feel safe and like I belong with everyone. Allowing me to be me, doing what I normally do without judgment.

In a motorcycle club, you are rarely alone, which, as an introvert, I struggled with. During the day, we stayed at the clubhouse, and at night, we would watch movies at Kyle's place. When Ace was busy, I spent time with Whiskey in the kitchen, or With Tiny and Gears in the garage. By the end of the week, I needed alone time. Even if it meant sitting silently in a room with Ace.

Ace and I sat at the bar of the clubhouse, talking to Whiskey and Tats, and I noticed the prospect talking to Tats at the opposite end of the bar. He's steered clear of me since the party, mostly because Ace gave him the death stare every time he came near, pulling me closer to him. Ace asked me what happened between us, but I brushed it off, saying he rubbed me the wrong way.

Everyone seems to respect the prospect, saying he would make a great addition, and it makes me sick knowing I'd have to see him every day if that happens. They don't see what I do, but it isn't my place to say anything. Hopefully, I can fly under the radar and prove they didn't make a mistake letting me join.

If they knew the truth, would they believe me? Would they let me stay?

"Church!" Kyle yelled, walking out of his office. He looked at me and said, "You can come too."

I looked questioningly at Ace, but he said nothing and squeezed my hand as I followed him. Patched brothers meet at least once a week to recap and review any upcoming runs. The meeting room had a table with chairs around it and by the looks of it, only the top members sat, while others stood. Ace led me to an empty seat next to Killer at the head of the table and pulled me onto his lap. Kyle raised his eyebrow but said nothing.

I'm not his... I want to know more about him. He makes me feel warm and protective, but I want more, and he's not mine.

Killer raised his hand, and the room fell silent. "We have received minor threats to the club and some of its members," he stated. I glanced at Ace, confused, but he shook his head.

"This isn't new; we have enemies, but no one is owning up to it. However, this time it's personal, and I want answers," Killer growled. His searing blue eyes looked at me. "They made one yesterday against you, princess." Ace's grip tightened around me while everyone talked over one another, and my anxiety came out full force.

"They delivered a box to the house last night with a bloody stuffed tiger and a note," he yelled over the others, quieting them.

I sank back into Ace, and everyone sat in silence, taking in the new information. "We're going into lockdown. I expect everyone to be back in the next three hours," Killer growled. "Dismissed!" he yelled, and most filled out.

This is my fault...

Those who stayed behind were the men Killer trusted the most. Blade the VP, Ace our enforcer, Shotgun the sergeant of arms, Hawk the computer genius, and Whiskey. Although I still don't know what he does. They were calm, far from my state of mind.

Blade spoke first. "How did they know where she was staying?"

"And how did they know her name was Tiger?" Whiskey piped up.

"What did the note say?" Ace asked, reading my mind.

Killer sat down and read the note. "It said: 'I never leave a job unfinished.' Any ideas on what they're talking about or who? We've gone through all other options, and nothing links this back to club business, which leaves you." Kyle wanted answers, answers that I didn't want to give him.

Answers I didn't have...

I didn't, right? Was this connected to the prospect or something else? But what? I'm missing something and unfortunately, he's the only one with answers. Why did he have to be here?! I should have left that night, but I didn't, and now the club is in trouble.

"Whatever it is, Kaitlyn, whatever you're running from, we're not here to judge you. It's my job to protect you. This is what this family does. Tell me, please," Kyle begged, but it wasn't helping.

Getting up, I paced the room, giving my body something to do. I only know one person who would do this, but I can't tell them. Not until I try to fix it myself. Lying probably isn't the best option, but keeping the club safe is my top priority.

Maybe they'll believe it's an ex-boyfriend. Anything but the truth, because the truth will cause more harm than good. Secrets keep people safe.

"I don't... I'm sorry. It's just some stupid guy who doesn't understand or won't accept, he needs to move on," I whispered, and the guys looked pissed. It's kind of true... if you stretch it a bit.

"Who?" Killer asked, his voice dripping with anger.

My eyes met Ace, who looked far more upset and hurt than Killer. His hazel eyes darkened, and the enforcer people know and fear was clawing to come out. But I see the man he is behind those dark eyes, and who he is with me.

"I can handle it. I didn't know he was sending threats, but now that I do, I'll make sure it stops. Kyle, I don't need you fighting my battles. Please, let me do this," I pleaded.

"Fine," he gritted out. "You have one day, Kaitlyn. One. If it's not fixed by then or it doesn't stop, the club and I will handle it. Clear?"

"Clear."

Kyle was not happy, and I didn't blame him. I left the meeting room and headed to my car, not bothering to tell anyone where I was going. There are too many people and ears here and need to do this alone.

I found a nearby diner and found a booth to sit in facing the door, where I could see when the guys would eventually find me. Pulling out my phone, I dialed the familiar number, knowing I had little time. It rang three times before he picked up.

"Hey."

"Hey yourself, we need to talk," I said curtly, knowing I didn't have time.

"Okay, what's up?"

"You know damn well what's up. I don't have time for games. What do you want?"

"I don't know what you're-"

"Save the bullshit for someone else! You and I both know when you're lying, so stop and tell me what you want!" I whispered.

"You."

"Just me?"

"I want a conversation with you. Alone."