3: Empty Home

Killer POV

I closed Kaitlyn's door and let out a breath. It has been a long time since someone has stayed in my place, and I know nothing about this woman I just let in. Letting her into my home, my safe space and I willingly let her in. I never take in random strangers, especially women, but I did. Why?

My home is where I come to think and get space from my brothers. Yes, we are a family, but like any family, not everything is sunshine and rainbows. Fights break out, leading to broken bones and holes in the walls, especially when you put a bunch of grown-ass alpha men together. But we have each other's backs. I trust them with my life.

Kaitlyn, however, is a stranger I don't know.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen, grabbing a beer before I did something stupid. Like spying on the woman in my spare bedroom.

Sitting down at the kitchen island with my beer, I looked around at my bare home. I bought it when I was twenty-five, wanting to settle down and have some sense of stability in my life, but it never happened. It sits empty most of the time, with the occasional BBQ or family party.

Otherwise, it's just me and my thoughts on the rare occasion I am here.

But tonight, I'm not alone. Kaitlyn is here.

My thoughts traveled back through the night's events. When I walked into the bar and found a woman being held against her will, my blood boiled. Unlike most motorcycle clubs, we protect our women and treat them with respect.

Watching Kaitlyn take a fighting stance, knowing damn well she never punched anyone before, but was willing to. When she asked the man to let her go and he didn't, I couldn't stand by any longer.

Something about the way she fought for herself, thinking, weighing out what to say before saying anything. Choosing what is best for others, not herself. She has confidence and determination deep within her, albeit false. I feel like we've met before and have known each other, but I don't understand how.

We both don't trust others easily and she trusted me as far as she could throw me, which is nowhere. But the way her blue/green eyes look at me, wanting to feel safe and trust someone, felt all too familiar. I know little about her, but she is welcome to stay here as long as she wants.

Turning off the lights, I set the house alarm and headed to bed, pausing outside her door. I placed my hand on the handle, wanting to check in on her. No, you cannot go in there. You wouldn't like someone coming into your space. Sighing, I headed to my room, knowing I wouldn't sleep, and Kaitlyn probably wouldn't either.

*****

I woke up feeling well-rested, despite having a stranger in my home. Showering, I headed to Kaitlyn's room and cracked open the door to check in on her. I looked around, but she wasn't there. Looking in the bathroom it was empty too, and I panicked. She didn't seem like the type to run, but apparently, I judged her too quickly.

I'm an idiot. Bringing her here... not knowing... bad idea. Where would she go? What if I scared her away?

Pulling out my phone, I tumbled down the stairs and called Blade, my VP. Reaching the bottom stairs, I paused and hung up the phone. Tiptoeing over to the couch, careful to not creek the floors, I found Kaitlyn curled into herself sound asleep. I grabbed two blankets from the basket next to the couch and carefully placed them over her. Stirring, she pulled the blankets up to her chin and snuggled into them.

Ugly blue and dark purple colors caught my attention. Kaitlyn's hand engulfed in the colors, sending rage through my body. Unlike my brothers, I don't anger easily, but something about Kaitlyn makes me want to protect her at all costs. My hands curled into fists.

My bar, my fault.

I grabbed my cut from a chair and quietly walked outside to call Blade, not wanting to wake her. Blade picked up right away. "Send a guy over to watch the house. Not a prospect and tell them to keep outside. Understand?" I snapped. Blade didn't question me and said someone would be there soon.

Bear, an older club member, pulled up about ten minutes later and said he'd keep an eye on the girl.

As soon as I pulled into the clubhouse, Blade was there giving me a look I knew all too well. I am out for blood and the guy from last night will pay for what he did. Looking around inside, the place was littered with empty liquor bottles, sweetbutts half naked lying around, and shit everywhere.

"Church in five. I want everyone. Tell the prospects to clean this place up. It looks like a shit-hole," I growled at Blade before heading to my office.

Five minutes later, everyone gathered in our meeting area where we hold church. We don't normally meet more than once a week, so they knew something was up. Most were half dressed and half asleep, but as soon as they saw my anger, they seemed to wake up more.

Taking my place at the head of the table, I waited for everyone to shut up before beginning. "As some of you may know, there was an altercation at the bar last night with a girl," I acknowledged.

"Yeah, I pegged her for the quiet type who wouldn't fight back, but she handled him alright. Badass," Tiny beamed. The kid wasn't wrong, but this is not the time or place to be making comments.

"She has a name," I snap, pounding my fist against the table. "Her name is Kaitlyn. Yes, she is quite the little fighter and handled that guy just fine. But it happened in our bar and that doesn't sit well with me. Her hand is swollen and bruised because of it, and that should never happen. Ever," I stressed.

Everyone shifted in their seats, angry at my words. "I know nothing about her besides her first name, but she's staying here until she wants to leave. She's hiding and scared, and I intend to find out why," I confirmed.

"Want me to see what I can find from the footage at the bar?" Hawk asked.

"No," I said, a little too quickly, and he seemed uncertain. "Fine. Nothing deep and if nothing pops up, then keep it to yourself. I want to earn her trust and she will never trust us, or share what is going on if we go behind her back."

My brothers stared at me, wondering why I would risk everything for a stranger. "Look, I know this isn't what we do, but I will take full responsibility for whatever comes from this," I assured them.

They nodded in agreement, understanding we took a vow to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Especially women and children. Unlike most motorcycle clubs, we have morals. However, we are not above breaking the law and getting our hands dirty.

"Where is she?" Blade asked.

"My place. I want to take a few guys to the house and see if she will open up without panicking and running away. If we aren't careful, she may bolt, and have a repeat of last night," I confirmed. "Whiskey, she took well to you, and maybe she'll open up to you." He nodded in agreement.

"Ace, you're to become her shadow from afar. She's scared, but will step up if she feels threatened. Stay outside until necessary." Ace's black eyes met mine, and I knew he understood.

"Church dismissed!" I roared and with that Ace, Whiskey, and I headed to my place, hoping Kaitlyn would talk.