38

let them go
sometimes 
the best thing you can do
for someone you love
is let them go
set them free
wish them happiness
and set them free

~~~~~

i locked myself in the bathroom upstairs before letting it out. tears flooded and dampened my face. my throat tightened and i choked. my vision blurred. i couldn't breathe. i know my cries could be heard from all around the house, however at this exact moment in time, i didn't care. i can't think. i can't breathe. 

gripping the sides of the sink, i run the tap, and dip my head into the freezing water. my chest is burning. my face is red and puffy and i can't inhale without suddenly choking on my own saliva. with my head immersed, i hear 3 faint knocks on the old door.

"lavender.." wil says. 

with my free hand i reach over and unlock the door quietly, standing in front of the mirror. the door opens and i feel his arms wrap around my waist. i turn around and bury my head in his chest. 

"how could he do this." i choked, gripping his soft jacket tighter. 

"i don't know." he whispered, squeezing my back and burying his head in my hair. 

"she didn't deserve to go like this." i cried, sinking to the ground taking wil with me. i lay my head on the cold blue tiles of the bathroom and close my eyes. 

i don't know how long i stayed laying there, but after a while i hear yelling downstairs. loud, violent yelling. jack. 

"i didn't do jack shit!" i hear him yell drunkenly from downstairs. 

"you'll fucking pay for this" he yelled again. i knew this wasn't directed at anyone in particular. 

i slowly got up from the floor and rubbed my eyes before leaving the bathroom and making my way towards the front master bedroom, and looked out the window. jack was being escorted to a police car by 3 men, and all i could hear was his muffled screams. 

as he was getting into the car, he looked up at me, his eyes red and angry. 

"i'll see you again one day lavender!" he screamed manically, grinning before the officer shoved his head into the car and slammed it. looking up, he tipped his hat, pierced his lips, and they drove off.

when i walk downstairs, everyone is gone. my grandmother was removed from her rocking chair by the window, suzie was nowhere to be seen, and the house was silent again. cold, and empty. 

in the kitchen, i rummage through the food. my grandmother wasn't fond of throwing things away, so practically all of the food was molded. it all had to go. in the last cupboard, i cleaned the loaf of bread out, and in the very back, sat a container. examining it, i saw that it was the only food in the cupboard that wasn't molded. 

i took the lid off and the citrusy aroma hit my nose. lemon tarts, with freshly picked pieces of purple lavender.