Thinking of You- Jace Herondale

This is based off this song from Bojack Horseman, a song I like and think is very beautiful. And I also thinks it would be fitting for a Jace one-shot since Jace plays piano. It's something him and the reader, who is a Shadowhunter bond over. 

Angst in this one. Enjoy.

It was another day at the Institute. You had just got back from the nightly patrol, and was now looking forward for some breakfast and a hitting your head against the pillow of your bedroom.

After grabbing an omelette and hash browns from the dinning hall, you were about to head to your room when you heard a pleasant sound reverberating across the hall.

You peak into the room where the sound was coming from and, sure enough, the one and only Jace Herondale was sitting in by the piano, lost in thought and moving his fingers across the keys with skill and grace, forming sound in the form of a beautiful song.

You stand by the open door, just soaking it in. Jace was always an exceptional pianist, even if the man who taught him how to play piano had some pretty evil intentions.
The only one good thing that probably came from being raised by Valentine was Jace being able to play piano as beautifully as he did. The classics from the 19th century and such.

Despite having been out on patrol all night with no sleep, watching Jace doing one of the many things he does best was definitely something you could watch all day.

"You know if you took a picture, it would last longer," Jace speaks up, not taking his eyes off the piano, but breaking you from your trance. As Jace smirk, you felt the heat rise to your cheeks from having been caught. "A picture can only do so much," you offer for a response, "and it certainly can't do justice to capture how beautifully you play."
Now it was Jace's turn to feel the heat in his cheeks. He averts his gaze, refusing to let you or anyone else see him blush.

"You by any chance know any other songs?" you ask, approaching the piano in a slow manner. "Like what?" Jace asks. "Oh, I don't know," you shrug, "Something more modern maybe. Or just anything from the last century would suffice too."

Jace thinks about it for a moment, "...Well I might know one," he admits. He pats a spot on the bench for you to sit next to him. You nod and take your seat.
Lightly cracking his knuckles, Jace began to play the tune.
"I feel like I heard this song tune somewhere before," you say as Jace continued to play. You hum it out, and soon the lyrics started to come to you and the words came out of your mouth in song.

Jace stopped playing the moment he noticed you singing. "Why did you stop?" you ask.
"I, uh," Jace begins, "I never noticed you were such a good singer. A great one actually."
"Oh, well, uh, I guess it's okay," you say. "Don't be so modest, you have an amazing voice," Jace insists. "Well you are an amazing pianist," you tell him. "Oh, I already knew that," Jace shrugs, making you nudge his shoulder. "Just keep playing," you say.

Meanwhile, Alec and Clary walk down the hall when they heard the piano playing and you singing. The two peak into the room to see you and Jace by the piano.

"I never knew (y/n) had such an amazing voice," Clary states in a whisper. "Neither did I," Alec admits.
Shadowhunters are seldom, if ever, afforded the luxury of exploring avenues of the more artistic side. Even Clary, who took to painting at a young age before discovering her Shadowhunter roots, found she hadn't done so much painting ever since becoming part of this whole thing. So seeing you and Jace doing composing a duet together was something of a treat. 

-----time skip---------

"Do you two have to do this right now?" Alec asks as Jace starts working the piano again. "We won't take long," you assure as you and Jace start that little song once more.

This had become a regular thing for you and Jace now ever since that day. At least once a week, you would say, you and him would get together, Jace on the piano and you sitting right next to him, playing what definitely was now your song.
It was something you had come to look forward to every time, and the feeling was mutual for Jace.

"Okay, that's enough," Alec says, interrupting the moment by slamming close the board covering the piano keys, "We have a mission to carry out and demons to slay before anyone else gets hurt."
"Right, of course," you nod standing up, "Come on, Jace, let's get this over with." "Oh, fine," Jace reluctantly stands up, "We can finish this afterwards."

Little did anyone know this would be the very last time you and Jace would have this moment together.

----------time skip-------------

Jace sat by the piano one last time, still dressed in white, having just come back from the funeral.

The mission, sadly, did not go as planned. Things went very wrong, and as a result, a life was lost.
Such was the way of the Shadowhunters as in their sacred duty to protect the mundane world from the Shadow world, their life spans were sadly short.

Even though this little fact was life was known, Jace, in the back of his mind, felt that maybe his friends and family and the person he cared about could be the exception to that rule. Sadly, when he held you in his arms during that mission, when the last bit of life left your body, that had turned out to not be the case.

Even though you were gone, Jace had not yet cried. Not a tear was shed during the time he brought your body back to the Institute and not even during the funeral.

However, when he sat by the piano, playing the notes that were part of your song, the song and you him had sang together over the last weeks, the tears had finally escaped his eyes, landing on the keys.