~Chapter 3: Hank~

"Stay tight." Conrad said as we walked through the forest. I was leading them since I knew my way around this part of the island. I walked past the half walls.

"What the hell is this?" I heard Reg say. I turned around and saw they all stopped. Conrad held his gun tighter.

"Come on, slow pokes!" I said and continued walking. 

I saw all the symbols on the walls

I saw all the symbols on the walls. I knew we were in the villagers' territory. But they didn't hurt me. They knew who I was. Suddenly, I heard Mason gasp. I turned around and saw the villagers surrounding the group.

"Everybody, stay calm." Conrad said. "Stay calm."

"Conrad?" Mason asked.

"Stay back!" Brooks said. I rolled my eyes at them. The villagers show no fear. No weapons are gonna scare them. I saw two village elders coming out.

"Kala, what's going on?" Conrad asked.

"They're the villagers." I said. "Guns won't scare them."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." I heard a familiar voice say. "No, no, no." Hank walked out. "No need for that. Come on now. Everybody keep your wigs on, now."

"What?" Reg asked.

"I didn't believe it when they said you were coming." Hank said. "I was up all night just thinking about how me and Gunpei dreamed of this moment. And now here it is. 28 years, 11 months, and 8 failed attempts to get back to the world, and instead the world comes to me?" He chuckled and glanced back at the villagers. "Ain't that a crack?" They said nothing. "They never smile."

"Or talk." I said. He looked at me.

"Hey, Kala." He said. "How long as it been? 4 months?"

"5, but who's counting?" I asked, walking over. He hugged me. I hugged him. We pulled away.

"How's the big guy?" He asked.

"Good." I said. "But angry today. Due to the explosions." He nodded.

"Did you crash here?" Mason asked.

"Oh." Hank said. "Sorry, miss." He saluted her. "Lieutenant Hank Marlow of the 45th. Put the old flight suit on for you." He chuckled. He pointed at the others. "You are more beautiful than a hot dog and a beer at Wrigley Field on opening day." He looked down at his hands in sadness. He looked like he was about to cry.

"Okay. Get it together, buddy." I said, patting him on the back.

"But you're real." He said. "Right?" He turned to the villagers. "I told you. Didn't I tell you? I said, it's fine." They put their spears down. "There we go."

"There's something out there, man." Reg said.

"Oh, there's a lot out there." Hank said. "Just ask Kala here." He pointed at me. "She knows all about it. I mean, she's out there every day." He looked at me. "What do you do out there again? Train?" I nodded. He looked at the others. "Now, come on. We gotta get home. You don't wanna be out here at night." He chuckled and turned around. I followed after him.