xii. How To Train Your Dragon

Start from the beginning

She ran into Astrid.

No, literally.

The two girls went falling down into the grass beside the path, tumbling amongst rocks, barrels, and well, grass. "Ow!" Astrid let out, coughing flowers from her hair that had originally been in Valkyrie's. She then saw who had stumbled into her. "Val! Oh, gods━Val, are you okay?!"

She helped the Viking up, and the two best friends stared at each other. Valkryie couldn't stop her tears. She was a disgrace and a disappointment to her father, just as she had feared all along; she was terrified that she'd be that to her best friend, too. And why wouldn't she? Astrid was just a determined dragon killer as the rest of Berk. But, surprisingly, the usually tough girl's gaze softened at the tears on Valkyrie's face, and before Val knew it, she was being pulled into a hug.

Valkyrie froze in shock. Astrid squeezed her, "Thank Odin you're okay," before pulling away. Val frowned at her reaction and was going to ask through a hoarse voice why she wasn't angry before a group of feet joined them.

"Hey! Astrid, you found her!" exclaimed Ruffnut.

"I told you she'd be in the flowers!" added her twin, Tuff. "She's a tricky one, she is!"

Fishlegs asked, "Is she okay?!"

Snotlout scoffed and rolled his eyes, "Forget whether she's okay━ask her the questions! Uh━what just happened? Why is Hiccup friends with a Night Fury?"

Astrid glared at him, "Shut up, Snotlout! Don't be so insensitive!"

"Me? Insensitive?" he gaped in disbelief. "Astrid, babe, have you even met you━" Valkyrie stopped Astrid before she could stand up and punch him across the face.

Holding her hands down, Valkryie stood up with her friend. She frowned at all of them. "What ... what━why were you looking for me? Why do you care whether I'm okay?"

Fishlegs pursed his lips, confused. "Why ... why wouldn't we? We're you're friends, Valkyrie."

"Yeah, we're a team, aren't we?" Ruffnut frowned at her brother, scratching her head. "At least━that's what Astrid told us to say."

Valkyrie turned to Astrid, who gave her a small smile. Her best friend placed a hand on her shoulder, "Val, it was never a competition, okay? We're a team, and we have each other's backs, no matter what. Even ... even if they want to defend a dragon."

"Ppht, whatever," Snotlout crossed his arms. "Now can she tell us why she did it?"

Astrid glared at him, but Val stopped her with a hand up to her chest. She continued to frown at them, "You're ... you don't hate me?"

"I did," Snotlout raised his hand, and Fishlegs slapped it down. "Hey, at first, I don't really now! Can you just tell us what happened, Val?!"

Val stared at them in disbelief. But, with a deep breath, she started from the beginning. She told them everything. From finding Hiccup and his dragon, to going on the ride, to finding the Dragon's Nest, and the dragon that dwelled in the volcano. She explained why they attacked and took their livestock, and how everything they thought about them was wrong and misguided. Once she was finished, it was their turn to stare at her in disbelief.

Then, Ruffnut and Tuffnut grinned, "Awesome!" they chimed together.

Astrid crossed her arms at them, "Not awesome!" she chided. "Do you know what this means?"

Valkyrie expected a stupid response from either twin (or both), but they didn't get the chance. In the distance, they heard the docking bell━the bell of war. A spine-chilling ding across the whole village to tell them to ready for naval battle. Valkyrie didn't need to check to know what it was about.