13 • Cowboy Like Me (AU)

Steve and Natasha are con artists from different worlds. No matter where they are they always happen to run into each other. Based off of the song 'Cowboy Like Me' by Taylor Swift. Angst. Not edited.

He never thought he'd see her here. The red head who he never got the name of. He'd seen her before, always from the shadows though. Steve doesn't think she'd had ever noticed him before. He'd seen her in plenty of his cons before, he'd always assumed they had similar tip lines. Or that their informants ran in the same circles.

Tonight, Steve is in an airport bar, waiting for his departure to London. He sees her at first, next to an older man pushing sixty. The kind that buys every health supplement in order to hide his wrinkle worn face. Doesn't work for him though. His expensive suit makes Steve scoff. Who wears a full suit to an airport? Steve watches the redhead draw a line with her index finger down the mans jawline as she slips her hand into the mans inner coat pocket. She keeps her eyes locked on the mans, as she draws a couple hundreds from his wallet and slips them into the waistline of her jeans. The older man leans into kiss her neck, and her eyes search for something behind him. Her eyes lock on Steve's for a while.

Her lips slightly parted and her checks flush, though she is clearly uncomfortable with the man, attached to her neck. Steve tries to advert his gaze from hers but the gaze of her verdant eyes pull him in, until he feels like he is drowning.

Over the PA system, he is alerted that his plane is at the gate and is almost ready to be boarded. He swishes down the last of his drink and leaves money on the table. He grabs his carry on and hurries to the gate.

--- --- --- --- ---

Natasha had been following him for a few months. She'd set up a scheme wherever he would be and follow him their. She had no problem following his vagabond lifestyle. After all, Natasha never had roots anywhere. London was a city she frequented quite often. There was always a rich business man she could take a watch or two from.

Tonight, Natasha was in an airport bar, waiting to board her plane to London. Of course traveling in business class, opposed to Steve who was traveling in first. She'd gotten the information from the man, who could still be considered a boy at one of the front desks. A smile and twenty dollar bill got her here.

Unlike Steve, she always worked alone. She knew Steve traveled with the likes of James Barnes and Sam Wilson. People who you were bound to come across if you lived this life style. They were considered royalty where she came from. You knew you made it if you knew them. Natasha didn't in fact know them. She hoped following the squared jawed blond would get her one step closer.

As her assets weren't currently accessible, she found a man and slipped a couple hundred from him. They gang she ran with for the first two decades of her life taught her quite a few things. The most important though, chose your targets carefully. And that she did.

--- --- --- --- ---

Steve kicked back comfortably in his first class seat, the row to himself. In the air, he asked for a glass of champagne, and toasted quietly to himself. Another successful con. Steve would connect with Bucky and Sam in London only a few hours away.

Steve stands to go to the bathroom a few minutes later. He walks down the aisle, and passes the red head. She's on my flight. She hides behind a thick book, and is slouched in her seat. When Steve sits back down a few minutes later he calls for a flight attendant.

--- --- --- --- ---

She has traveled in first class before. It was the only way Alexei traveled when he ways alive. Though, Natasha never really saw the difference, yeah the seats were bigger and more comfortable, but she saw it as a waste of money.