s: The Right Choice

Monroe's POV

Tony and I walked into the Avengers Compound, hand in hand. I assume that Steve has been informed of our arrival and has the rest of the team gathered. Tony walked into the debriefing area first, sitting in the back corner. I chose to stay standing behind him with my hands placed on his shoulders. We waited as each member made their way in until the room was full. The Secretary of State made his entrance once he was sure we were all there to listen. 

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because, after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the army never taught me. Perspective," Ross looked over at us both with his final word to make a point. I felt Tony tense up at the transition to what came next. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word, vigilantes."

I glared at the secretary at his choice of words but kept silent.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat provoked. 

"How about, dangerous." Nat looked over at me to read my judgments, but I avoided her eyes knowing this was a risky move. "What would you call a group of U.S.-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

The secretary turned to the glass behind him, revealing clips of the chaos we don't see when in battle. I felt slightly ashamed to be unaware of the trouble we caused for the people while trying to save their lives. We don't remember names or faces, but we have the audacity to destroy their homes? We all watched as the Hulk smashed into New York's buildings, causing them to crumble within the city. The screen traveled over the map to Washington D.C. S.H.I.EL.D.'s aircraft crashing down to the city. No doubt there were innocent bystanders injured, or worse, killed. Sokovia's flying city had probably been the worst. A falling city that could've killed billions, but that's no victory considering how many have lost their families. Their homes. Last up was Logos, this must've been recent. It seemed there was an uncontrolled explosion, and by the looks of it, Wanda felt responsible. My grip on Tony's shoulders tightened, causing him to look up at me for a moment. I nodded my head in reassurance, but the guilt was written in my eyes.

"Okay. that's enough," Steve demanded.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." A large book is handed to the Secretary of State as he slides it over to the Maximoff. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel. Only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Rogers defends.

"Tell me, Captain Do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences," Ross made his way around the table. "Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the real world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." 

My eyebrows twitched at the words that left the secretary's mouth. He's implying something worse if we don't agree to the accords. I really hope I've made the right choice here.

"So, there are contingencies," Rhodey questions.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords," Ross clarifies.