Chapter 39

*Erin's POV*

"So how is Jay doing?" I was sitting in the car with Hailey and we were watching Kim and Adam doing an undercover buy.
"He's fine. I think." I shrugged my shoulders.
"Okay?" Hailey gave me a confused look.
Jay had been home for a week now and we had started to look for some apartments we were interested in but couldn't find one we both liked. So we were just a bit annoyed with each other at the moment.
"I just don't ask any more." Hailey grabbed the binoculars and watched Kim and Adam closely.
We finished the case quit fast and arrested the dealer.
So I had early afternoon off.
"Jay?" I went into the apartment and when I saw the mess I got even more annoyed than I was already.
We had been living together in his apartment for a few weeks now and apparently he didn't care to clean up behind him.
"Hey Erin." His voice sounded drunk and that was enough reason for me to yell at him.
"Are you kidding me? You drink around here while I'm at work and then you have the audacity to mess up the apartment aswell?" He looked totally shocked at me.
"I'm injured." Jay pointed to the crutches.
"At least you could pretend you want to live with me or say if you don't want to. Or in all honesty, forget it, I'll tell you." I pulled the ring off my finger and slammed it on the table in front of him.
"I'm done doing this. We aren't good as a couple and I guess I just have to accept that. Have a nice day." After my speech, I turned around and went to my car to go home.
If it had only been once I would have looked over it, but Jay had apparently developed a habit of thinking that I was his personal cleaning lady and I certainly wasn't.
"Erin!" He yelled out of the window but I just got into the car, turned some music on and left.
"Hey Hailes. Can I come over?" I had picked up the phone.
She said that I was welcome everytime so I turned the car and drove to her apartment.
"What's going on? You're alright?" I shook my head and she gave me a beer.
"I guess that thing with Jay wasn't ment to be." Even if I didn't really want to cry, ran tears down my face.
"Did he do something?" She looked at me sympathetically.
"I did something." I took a sip before continuing to talk.
"The wedding is off. I broke up with him." Hailey's was stunned.
"C'mon you're joking, right?" She didn't seem sure what to think about what I just said.
"No. I'm not joking." I showed my hand with no ring.
"Ouh." Her expression changed.
She offered me to spend the night with her and I nodded.

*Jay's POV*

Today was my first day back and I felt horrible. In my head I went over and over again about what I had done wrong. I had a few moments in my head right now, but I never thought Erin would leave me.
"Sarge?" I knocked on his door.
"Halstead? So early and without Erin?" I nodded and sat down in front of him.
"Can you partner me up with someone else?" It was a risky question but I needed to ask.
"Why?" I had expected him to ask that.
"Erin and I broke up. I guess. And I think she would feel better if she wouldn't need to drag me around with her." My eyes were a little uncertain.
"No. That's exactly why I don't want in-house romances. They don't last and then the people are screwed. But actually that isn't my problem. You two have to figure a way out to work side by side. I don't care how. And I tell you only one time. If you can't do it, someone leaves the unit. I don't care who. But I will do it. And now out of my office." He said and I left.