58

TW~ Torture, Romulus

"Inject him again." One of the cultists called out as Roman screamed in pain. They had already injected him with a new compound, mixing purified blood with holy water. Roman eyed the injector with such fear in his eyes, it was a wonder he didn't pull away. He just stood there letting them push the needle into his neck, only for his screaming to get so much worse. His whole body tensed up, his veins popping under the strain, as his skin flushed from the agony. His eyes went black instantly as went stiff and unmoveable. "Alright. Now the knife."

Fiona was breaking to pieces. Her magic was flaring around her as she, yet again, forced herself to watch. She had to. She had to make sure Roman didn't die. The problem was she could physically feel Roman's soul craking. She could feel his demon aura seeping through, covering him in a smog. Roman was slipping through the cracks. She felt something surge around her only for it all to break, scaring her instantly.

"STOP!" She screamed out the second she felt that snap. Roman collapsed to his knees as she raced over only to freeze at the growl he gave her, his eyes still a very pitch blank. The cultists all grumbled in annoyances as they stormed out. She didn't know if she would get away with this another time... but she didn't have a choice. Roman had to stop. "Roman..."

"Why'd you stop?" Roman smirked, tilting his head to the side a bit as his blackened eye bore into her. She could feel Roman's sole straining under the pressure. It was craked... broken... stressed out. Roman hissed out a laugh as he clicked his tongue and pulled on the chains. "Oh come, doll. Don't you know a puppet should do ask they're told. I asked you a FUCKING question... You'd do best to answer me."

"Roman?" Fiona smiled sadly as she sat down a good distance away. Close enough to talk to the demon, but far enough to not get hurt should he lash out. "It's ok. I'm here. Just breathe ok? Everything is going to be ok."

"And what exactly is some shitty pottery going to do, hmm?" Roman teased as he tried to lash out only for the chains to hold him back. He screamed out in pain falling to his knees again and he glared the angel down with such hate in his eyes. "You're lucky I'm stuck... I'd rip your fucking head off." Fiona just chuckled as she shook her head making Roman growl at her more.

"Shh... Roman. It's ok. Please calm down? It's over for now. They won't come back for at least the night. You don't have to be scared anymore."

"Scared? Oh, pet..." Roman smirked vilely as he rolled his quirked a brow at her in amusement. "What would I have to be scared of? You're all pathetic. Dolls for me to have my fun." Roman smirk only grew as he looked her up and down. "If only I get my hands on those wings... I bet I'd enjoy plucking each and every single feather from them... like the worthless bird you-..." Roman tensed up instantly, eyes shooting wide, the second she brushed her fingers over his cheek. He felt her magic swirl around him, as he let out a very choked whine. "F-Fion-na?"

"It's ok, Roman. I've got you." The black slowly faded from his eyes as he crashed into her completely. This seemed to be the common result of everything. He'd just end up in her arms as she tried to comfort him. His eyes went red before even fading further into green as he just sobbed into her chest. She seriously couldn't stand to watch him suffer anymore.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I don't know what happened. I-I couldn't control myself. I just..."

"Roman you can't do any more of this." Roman flinched in her arms as she sniffled and choked, practically ball her eyes out right along with him. "You're not going to make it."

"I'm... I'm going to be human... for Virgil."

"THEY CAN'T MAKE YOU HUMAN, ROMAN!" She finally broke forcing him to look her right in the eyes. "They can't do what you want them to. And if you continue down this path... they will either kill you completely..." Roman felt his whole world crumble apart as Fiona's eyes fell to the floor. "Or Romulus will make a PERMANENT return."

"What do you mean..."

"They are destroying your soul, Roman." Roman tensed up only to falter as she brushed his hair back. "Remember... I'm an angel. I can sense souls. It's my job to protect and nurture them. Yours is so light and pure... It holds a warmth you wouldn't believe... but it's breaking, Roman. I can literally feel it breaking. That's why you lost control... you're losing your sense of empathy... of morality... of sanity. If you lose your soul there's no going back. The gypsy is long since dead and I don't know of another witch who could cast it."

"I don't... I don't understand." Roman lightly pressed a hand to his chest as everything started to break him down. Had he really had a soul this entire time? Had Virgil been right? Fiona took his hands in hers as she literally pleaded with her eyes. But... But he just... he didn't understand any of it. "I just want to be human."

"I know... but you can't continue this anymore. Your soul is far too damaged. To much more and... And we lose 'Roman' for good." Roman eyes shimmered as he grimaced under his fear and desperation.

"I want to be human." Fiona pulled him in, placing a soft supportive kiss on his hair, as if a child she was trying to soothe. "Why... Why can't I be different? I don't want to be a demon anymore. I don't want to be..."

"I promise you, Roman. I will find a way." Roman broke down unable to hold himself back anymore as his emotions flooded the gates. He would have crumbled to the floor if it wasn't for Fiona's arms still wrapped around him.

"I... I-I don't..." Roman choked as he furiously shook his head. "I-I d-don't know w-what t-to do."

"We're going to get out of this... That's what we're going to do."