52

"Roman, talk to me..." Virgil called out as he followed Roman into their shared room, only to see his demon just stop and stare at the ground. "Roman, you know she was wrong... right?"

"No. No, she wasn't."

"Roman!"

"SHE WASN'T WRONG!" Roman snapped his red eyes flashing dangerously as he let his fangs show. "God damn it, Virgil, don't you understand? I'm the literally god damned boogyman. I'm the monster under the bed. The one people fear will take them to their death. I'M THE DEMON OF INSANITY!" Roman's heart just dropped as tears fell from his eyes. "Of death, gore, and destruction. I have killed... mutilated... tortured for more people than you could even count. I am the shattered prince. I am so fucked up as a damn demon not even those of my kind would EVER care to help me in the slightest. They would sell me out to a hunter faster than they could even blink because with me gone... it would save their asses more."

"No, Roman..." Roman rolled his eyes as he turned away not really wanting to deal with this but Virgil wouldn't let it drop. "You aren't him anymore... remember?"

"Virgil my greatest wish... the thing I want more than anything..." Roman whispered as he clenched his fists tightly. "...is to be human." Virgil's eyes shot wide as Roman just laughed pathetically at himself. "I don't want to be a demon anymore... but that will NEVER happen. I am and always will be the blasted beast of hell. Virgil... I found enjoyment... in ripping people apart. How could someone like that EVER have a good life? I'm a monster... literally."

"No." Virgil yanked Roman back around, forcing him to look him in the eyes as he glared him down with this protective expression. "That was Romulus. You are Roman."

"You can't change who I am, Virgil. I can't change... who I am." Roman sighed as he glanced down at his hand with a very broken smile, tears streaming down his face. "I'm a danger to everyone."

"Roman, please. Listen to me..."

"I'm the worst kind of danger..." This look of realization hit Roman hard as his eyes darted back up to meet Virgils. "I'm not safe to be around."

"ROMAN-..." Roman pulled Virgil in with this heartbreaking expression that took all the air out of Virgil just like that. It stopped him cold as this panic chilled his blood. "R-Roman? Please... I know your scared but even if you don't trust yourself... please trust me? You aren't him anymore."

"I'm sorry, Virgil." Virgil wanted to smile, thinking that Roman was finally listening, but the sad look on Roman's face made it apparent that wasn't the case. "My job is to protect you. By being here with you... I'm putting you in the worst danger. I have to keep you safe... especially from myself."

"What about happy?" Roman's eyes only darkened as Virgil started to cry. "Your job is to keep me safe AND happy. If you leave..."

"Virgil, in the end, you'd only end up happier without me... because you'd be safe and not fearful... and you wouldn't have to deal with my nonsense. I'm not leaving... I'll still be watching over you. It's my job... but I can't be here... WITH you. It's just not safe." 

"Roman, please do-..." Roman gently pressed his lips against Virgil's tasting the salty tears against his own as the two cried into the kiss. Virgil could physically feel something in him break as if a part of him had withered away. Roman whimpered in pain as he winced, his whole body shaking as he forced himself to pull away, with his red eyes dead and dull. "I want you with me." Virgil whispered unaware of just what Roman had done. "My greatest wish... right now... is for you to stay with me. Please... don't go."

"I'm sorry, Flos. But the most important thing is for you to be safe... above all else. I cannot risk your safety and life just because you WANT it. You mean everything to me, Virgil... and if anything happened to you... I would never forgive myself." Roman smiled sadly as he leaned his forehead against his... no... THE human, before taking a deep breath and stepping away completely. "This is the last you'll see of me, Virgil. Thank you... for at least giving me things I could remember with a smile."

"ROMAN, DON-..." Roman teleported out of the cabin before anything else could be said. He couldn't take the pain ripping through his chest. His heartfelt like someone had torn it out while it was still beating and through it in a blender with a corrosive acid. He wanted to vomit... but he knew he made the right choice. He wanted so desperately to be human... to live his life with Virgil but unless some miracle came he was doomed. Then again... miracles... they don't exist... especially not for Demons like him. And even if they did... he sure as hell didn't deserve one.

"I can hear him crying from here." Roman flinched as he suddenly spun around to see Fiona glaring at him. "What the hell did you do to him?"

"I said goodbye." Fiona's face fell seeing the tears falling down his face. "I took the mark back and I left him. You were right... I'm too much of a danger. Demon's like me... we don't get to live a happy life. We only ruin it for others. And I wasn't going to let that happen to Virgil..."

"What exactly is your deal with him? He's obviously your charge." Roman sighed as he turned away and started to walk off, forcing her to have to chase after him. "What? Are you not going to answer?"

"His greatest desire... for my own."

"Which was?" Roman's eyes flashed as he hesitated slightly noticing they had both wandered into the woods without the slightest care. Him he understood, but he didn't know why she was just following.

"His desire was safety." Her eyes widened a bit as Roman smiled. "He just wanted to be safe and happy. He didn't want to be afraid all the time. He just... He wanted someone to care for him. My job is to provide that."