40

"Hey, Virge." Roman teleported into the room, spotting his human just sitting there in bed, as he smiled softly at the other. Virgil shot him a confused look watching as he sat down beside him. "I said I would pop in tonight... remember?"

"Oh, right... Yea. You did." Virgil laid himself back against his pillow only to laugh as Roman draped himself over him, cuddling up close to his chest. "What are you doing?" Virgil laughed as he trailed his fingers through Roman's hair eliciting a soft laugh from the demon.

"I've missed you, Virgil." Virgil smiled as Roman moved just enough to look up at him. "I'm sorry I haven't been around much."

"You have a boyfriend, Roman. That sort of thing happens." Roman huffed lightly as he nuzzled into Virgil's chest making him laugh.

"Doesn't matter. I wanna spend more time with you." Virgil's eyes softened as the two just laid there together melting into the silence. "Maybe... Maybe you could join us ice skating?"

"I can't do that Roman."

"Why not?" Roman whined childishly as Virgil shook his head. "I could teleport you there and back home. You wouldn't need to pay for anything. I could do it all. Why can't you come?"

"Because it's a date for you and Kai... Having me there wouldn't be a good thing Roman. Just trust me on this." Roman pouted as he pushed his hands under Virgil so he could hold him tightly in his arms with how he was positioned over him. "If it means anything... I've missed you too, Ro. Though you seem really happy with Kai."

"Well... I mean..." Roman blinked a bit trying to put his thoughts into words. "It's hard for me to figure out just what I'm feeling, Virgil. I don't understand emotions. I don't know them well enough to truly know anything."

"Well, you LOOK happy..." Virgil frowned seeing how Roman's eyes narrowed a bit. "Is that not true?"

"Oh. No... I am very happy. Kai's kind and sweet. He's understanding and doesn't get mad if I don't know about something. He's gentle and slow but..."

"But?" Roman frowned as he shrugged a tad in response, his thoughts getting a bit hazed up in his mind.

"I don't know. I don't know what I feel, Virgil. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. I don't know what love is to even know if that is what's happening." Roman sighed as he let himself relax into Virgil's arms as he stared off at nothing. "All I know is he's kind. He makes me smile and laugh. He treats me well and genuinely doesn't care about my lack of experience or understanding about things. I enjoy my time with him more than I do with nearly everyone I've met." Virgil tried hard not to let that hurt him but that smile Roman had stabbed into his chest. "The only problem I have is... He takes me away from you."

"Well, that's not a problem..."

"It is to me." Roman grumbled before pushing himself up enough to stare down at the human. "My job is to care for you, protect you... make sure you're happy. I can't do that if I'm off ice skating with my boyfriend... and that... I'm... I think I'm worried. I don't want anything to happen to you while I'm distracted by Kai."

"Nothing is going to happen, Roman. Besides..." Virgil laughed as he poked the demon lightly on the nose. "If anything did happen you would know. You told me you can feel my fear and all that. You'd know when I'd need you."

"I guess." Roman sighed as he sat up only to jump hearing his phone go off. His eyes lit up as he pulled it out of his pocket with a laugh seeing how it was Kai. "Hold that thought." He clicked it on before just smiling as Kai's voice spilled out of it. Virgil just sat there watching as Roman talked. He felt like he was intruding in his own room. "What? Oh! Uh... No, actually um... I'm at Virgil's." Virgil flinched, half expecting Kai to go off on Roman even though he knew Kai wasn't that kind of person. Roman just laughed as he raked his hand through his hair. "Yeah, I told him we would hang out tonight. It's been a while. I've been spending all my time with you." Virgil felt sick as he sat up and curled his knees into his chest. "Oh... If you still want me I could... Well, yes I'm at his house. Kai, if you want me... Really? You don't mind?" Roman visibly relaxed as he nodded to himself just happy he didn't have to leave. "You're sure you don't care? I don't want you upset that I didn't show up." Roman smiled as he gripped his phone tightly, eyes shining with relief. "Thank you, Kai."

"What was that about?" Virgil finally asked as Roman ended the call.

"Oh. Kai said there was this open mic thing going on and he wanted to go and check it out." Virgil paled as Roman shrugged and set his phone on the nightstand beside Virgil's. "I said I would go with him like he had wanted but he told me to stay. He said he knew how much I had been missing hanging out with you and didn't want to take me from my friend. See... Kind. I honestly don't understand how sweet he is." Roman laughed as he laid back down gently pulling Virgil down into him as we did. "He's human... obviously. I can tell when someone isn't. That's how we know who not to mess with. He's human but... He's got the kindness that an angel would possess. Honestly... sometimes I feel really... down beside him. Like I don't belong because he's so sweet and I'm... I'm a demon."

"Roman, you are sweet too. Sweet, caring, kind... You don't have to worry about any of that." Virgil smiled as he felt Roman snuggle up to him. "You deserve to be happy."

"I am happy." Roman hummed as he closed his eyes and started to fall asleep. "Just promise me you won't leave me." Virgil faltered a bit seeing how Roman's face scrunched up a tad in concern. "You aren't going to leave me... right?"

"No, Ro. I'm not going to leave you." Roman sighed as Virgil trailed his fingers through the other's hair. "We're friends... and we're stuck together. We have that contract right. You're not getting rid of me that easily."

"Good... I don't want to lose you."