Nerd & Popular Kid AU - Annyeongz

Start from the beginning

"Um, are you a-alright? Y-you look a l-little, er..."

Wonyoung shakes her head. "S-sorry I'm a little out of it today. Erm, I'm Wonyoung. What's your name?"

The masked girl looks shocked that Wonyoung is even looking her direction, much less speaking to her.

"O-o-oh. U-um, I-I'm Y-Yujin."

Wonyoung giggles, feeling bold for some reason. "You're cute."

Yujin, surprised to the point of, well, being surprised, flushes a really dark red and looks down.

She says in a really quiet voice, nearly a whisper, but with substance, "Um th-thank you? B-but s-seriously, you d-don't look f-fine. Are you r-really okay?"

Wonyoung's face falls. She's really not okay, is she? But she decides to go with the fake reason, rather than the real one. "O-oh, my girlfriend... sh-she broke up with m-me."

Yujin, not big on touching people but feeling as though her brain has short circuited enough times to cloud her judgment, reaches her hand out of her overly large, black sweatshirt and softly slips her hand into Wonyoung's. Wonyoung goes red, Yujin looks like a tomato, both enjoy how Yujin's small hand fits so perfectly in Wonyoung's soft, warm one.

"I-I'm sorry. I c-can't imagine..."

Wonyoung gives a sad smile. If only she could tell Yujin about everything, the actual problems in her life. "It's fine, really. I'll be fine. But we don't have to have this be our first conversation. Can I ask about that book?"

Yujin's face lights up. "Oh my gosh yes! (oh my god yes, say oh my goodness) This is the fourth book in the series..."

Yujin talks more than she ever has in her life to Wonyoung, a near stranger, and even though Wonyoung isn't really listening, she distractedly watches the sparkle in Yujin's smile and the glint in her eye and thoroughly enjoys the whole thing.

Neither of them are alone anymore.

*

Yujin shook her head, tears burning in her eyes and threatening to spill over. Why would you listen to her? She's popular, you're not. How could she even like you in the slightest?

Yujin hides under her hood and turns to walk back to the hell that is her house.

A rogue tear slides down her cheek.

"Yujinnie! There you are! Wow you're really tall! Still shorter than me, but whatever," an out of breath Wonyoung calls to Yujin.

Suddenly Yujin feels stupid. She smiles, wide, at the sight of tiny Wonyoung struggling to carry her books and wonders how she thought a girl as innocent as Wonyoung could break a promise.

"You weren't planning on walking without me?" Wonyoung teases. Yujin smiles, looking up into Wonyoung's eyes.

But she forgot to wipe away her tears.

Wonyoung visibly becomes worried as she slowly reaches down to brush away those tears with her thumb.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

Yujin flinches, getting ready to be yelled at. She hangs her head and whispers, "I th-thought y-you ditched me."

But Wonyoung doesn't yell, because she knows the feeling of being alone. And she wraps her arms around Yujin squeezing tightly. And strangely enough, Yujin complies.

"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to be late. I'm really really sorry."

Yujin giggles. "It's fine. Don't apologize."