thirty three - leaving again?

Start from the beginning

Their day consisted of Liam pulling Leah around Port Angeles and buying her different kinds of snacks for her to try― usually it was Liam shoving said snack down the shifter's throat to make her eat. And the soldier felt a sense of accomplishment when he got a small chuckle out of her.

On the drive back to La Push, Liam took occasional glances in Leah's direction to find her staring out the passenger's window, longingly.

"Do you miss it?" Liam asked, returning his gaze back on the road.

Leah looks away from the passing trees to look at Liam questionably. Sensing her confusion from his question he added, "Phasing I mean. Running with the rest of the pack."

Looking down at her hands, Leah thought about the question. "Yeah, I do."

"Why don't you try phasing again?"

Shaking her head and turning her attention back out the window, Leah answered solemnly, "I don't wish to live any longer than I have to."

At her answer the soldier stayed silent the remainder of the ride back. He understood that when a shifter stopped phasing they would live like any human would. Meaning they would die like a human.

Once they arrived back at La Push and Liam pulled up to the Clearwater household, it was Leah's turn to ask a question that she had been meaning to ask.

"Why do you do this Liam? Why do you waste your time trying to fix me? Trying to make me feel better."

Her question caught the soldier off guard and he nervously pulled at his dog tags that hung on his neck. Sighing, he turned his body to face the broken girl in front of him, "Because I made a promise to myself that in any case where something happened to Josiah, I would be the one to take care of his family. I would be there for both his brother and mother. And when I saw the way he looked at you, I knew he would do anything for you. So automatically you fell under those two: I would take care of you in Josiah's place. My best friend loved you, although he never got to tell you, I could see it in his eyes when he spoke to you or when he would talk to me about you."

Leah's eyes began watering at Liam's words. "So I am going to do whatever it takes to get you moving on with your life because Josiah would not want you moping and ruining it because he is no longer here."

Sobs escaped Leah's lips at Liam's words. Her hands flew to cover her lips and stop them. She didn't even hear or see Liam exiting his car and opening her side of the door to pull her into his arms for a hug. He rubbed her back comforting and let her cry against his chest.

"You're like a sister I never had and I don't like seeing you so broken. I promise that I will continue to stay by your side and help you through this." Liam wiped her tears away with his thumb and kissed her forehead.

After making sure Leah was safe inside her house, Liam pulled away and drove the small distance to Mary's house. The house was dead silent when he arrived, telling him that Mary was probably already sleeping. Walking to the small room that used to be Lahote brother's, Liam changed clothes, brushed his teeth, and collapsed on the bed.

His mind wandered back to the phone call he had received earlier and grimaced at the thought of having to tell everyone that he would be leaving. Again.

The following morning, Liam did his usual morning before heading to his job in Forks where he worked in a cozy, friendly restaurant. It paid well and he enjoyed working there which is what mattered to him the most.

On his lunch break he made sure to call Paul and Leah to let them know that they would be having dinner together in Mary's house. They seemed confused at his request but agreed which Liam was thankful for. The soldier felt bad telling them the day before he would be leaving but the call came so unexpected which left him a tough situation.