He stayed quiet, simply looking at me with a scowl on his face. "It's not like that," he argued.

"It is exactly like that."

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?" I asked. Confusion marring my face.

"How do you always manage to make my good intention seem horrid?"

"Look, like you said, your intentions are good, it's the execution that needs a lot of work," I said.

He chuckled, while shaking his head. I almost laughed too, but this is too serious, to let the humour in my honest words win.

"Look, I agree completely. Lia needs a mother. But she needs a loving home, with two parents who love and respect each other. We have neither," I said.

"What do you mean? I respect you," he argued.

"No you don't. If you respect me, you wouldn't have made this ridiculous offer," I said. "I love that little girl as if she was my own, but I will not marry you. I will not do this to her. She deserves better. So do you, and so do I. I want to get married someday, but I want to be married to someone I love, who loves me in return."

"I care about you Arabella, and I respect you. Look, things can be good between us. We are good together," he said.

"Based on what? All we do is argue. We're too different. Every time we have a conversation, it ends up as a disagreement."

"Exactly."

I groan loudly. "You are so frustrating!"

"Look, it's a good thing because you're not afraid of standing up to me, and you have to admit that the chemistry between us is palpable," he said.

"That's just physical. A marriage can't be built on that alone." I bit out.

"It's not just about that. You're good for Lia. You're also good for me. You're not afraid of telling me I'm wrong. Hell you're not afraid of me period," he said

"You already said that. Is that all you've got to convince me? Cause let me tell you, its horrible!"

"My goodness you stubborn woman! I swear you amuse and drive me insane at the same time."

"Exactly. I drive you insane, and you make me so angry I could strangle you!" I growled angrily.

But he's wrong about me not being afraid of him. I am terrified of him. I'm terrified of how strongly I feel for him. He has the ability to break me, and he doesn't even know it.

"Please think about it Arabella," he said.

"There's nothing to think about. My answer is no..."

"But..."

"No. You're still in love with your wife Massimo."

"What has that got to do with anything?"

"It's got everything to do with all of this. How do you expect me to marry you, when you're in love with someone else. You're asking me to settle, and I won't ever do that!"I said dejectedly.

A few moments later, "Goodnight Massimo," I said, leaving him standing there.

I try to keep my tears at bay. I walk quickly to my room, and once the door was shut, I let the tears fall.

This is ridiculous. God knows I want to marry him, but I want him to want to marry me because he loves me too. I want someone who chooses to be with me, not someone who settles. If I agree to marry him, then we're both settling. He doesn't love me, he just sees me as a substitute mom. Someone to fill the void, I thought painfully.