Part 28

“What are you doing, Baby?”

I’d heard the sound of wheels approaching the kitchen but hadn’t bothered to turn around since I knew that it was another one of the boys getting up.

I smiled as I flipped another pancake, “I’m making breakfast, North Star.”

He huffed, moving up next to me and watching as I moved on to the next batch.

“How did you sleep?” I asked him quietly, happy to have a quiet moment with his after all the strain and excitement since the boys had all woken up.

He crossed his arms and looked up at me with a slightly irritated grimace, “Silas seems to snore worse now then what he did a year ago.”

I laughed, “I’ve never really noticed.”

His look changed to one of disbelief, “I know you’re fucking with me. He sounds like a goddamn chainsaw.”

I clucked, “You’re grumpy.”

He fought back a smile, “Like always then.”

I turned off the stove and leant down so that I could press my forehead to his, “I missed you so much,” I whispered with a choked voice.

He pulled down into his lap and wrapped strong arms around me, “I am so sorry, Baby.” His voice was muffled as his mouth shuffled through my hair.

“You don’t need to be sorry, just don’t ever do anything like it again.”

A nod, “Never again. I’ll always be here.”

A voice let out an obvious cough in the doorway and I almost bent backwards so that I could smile at Sean as he waited with an amused smirk.

“Morning, Dr Sean,” I chirped, sticking my tongue out, “I made breakfast.”

“That’s what woke me,” he rubbed his hands together, “Pancakes!”

I giggled and North grumbled about the fact that my diet was still unhealthy.

“Where’s Owen?” He asked, looking around.

I pointed in the direction of the front door, “I left him out there when he said that he was hungry. He’s feeling a bit inadequate about the fact that he can’t walk yet.”

Sean sighed, “I can understand where he’s coming from. I think we’re all sick of being confined to these stupid things.” He smacked an arm of the chair.

“And it’s pissing me off that you have to take of us so much,” North added, squeezing me tighter.

I pushed away from him and stood quickly, “You’ll be back on your feet before you know it. While we’re here we can continue your physio and I’ll make you some food that should help with building up your body mass.”

Kissing his cheek, I sat a plate of pancakes in North’s lap before doing the same thing to Sean, “Go out with Mr Blackbourne. Tell him that I’ll bring his out as soon as I wake the others.”

I wedged past the Doc’s chair and started down the hall to the last door, slipping in just as I heard Sean’s quiet, “I like her when she’s sassy.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-V-

“What do you mean you lost her?” I growled into the phone.

“The whole team has been transferred off the grid,” my associate replied.

“You’re in the same fucking Academy as they are! Where is the goddamn safe house?” It was ridiculous. One moment I had been laughing at them as Sang and that idiot Samuel had searched through the poor office drone’s computer and the next the whole Blackbourne team had disappeared without a trace.

“Each team has its own evac point and I have no idea where theirs is,” I could hear the fear in the other voice as the news was forcibly passed over.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose, “Fine. Fuck it, I guess I’ll just have to make them come back on their own since you’re fucking useless.” I slammed down the landline handset before ripping the cord from the wall in a fit of temper.

Today was meant to be a victory; my associate had managed to shoot one of the members of the Hammersley and get away with it and the office drone had been remanded in custody due to suspicious online activity.

Little did they know that the poor bastard had never even heard of me! I had rerouted my camera system through his computer so that his IP Address would be flagged instead of my own.

I picked up the photo of Sang Sorenson; I kept it propped against my computer screen so that it would always remind me of what I was trying to achieve.

I stroked my finger down her face, “Come out, come out wherever you are.”