Part 4

The sound of footsteps was the only thing that I could hear as I followed Dr Roberts down the darkened corridor of the hospital ward. It was a part that I'd never been in before and I was disconcerted by the silence. It made it feel like it was a lack of hope.

I saw people hunched together further down the way and I squinted through my steady tears to try and figure out if I knew them.

Dr Roberts didn't say anything as we continued forward but I did hear him draw in a deep breath as we got even closer to the huddling group.

The first person I recognised was North and Luke's uncle. It made me pause as I tried to identify the others. Sure enough, I was able to make out Erica, Jessica, Victor's parents and a couple that looked like the people I'd seen in a photo of Sean's adopted parents.

Their pain was plain to see and I wrapped my arms tighter around myself so that I didn't draw any of their attention.

"Any change," I heard Dr Roberts ask quietly.

"No," Uncle murmured, "We were asked to wait out here while they ran some more tests."

"Ok, I'd better go in there to assist," he walked away, leaving me to stand before my boy's families.

I didn't want any of them to recognise me as I knew that it would begin a very uncomfortable conversation.

Too late as Erica looked in my direction from where she was slumped in a seat next to a shaking Jessica, "Sang?"

The rest all turned to me and I trembled under their combined scrutiny.

"Well, well," I heard the familiar tone of Victor's father and flinched at the viciousness in his voice, "If it isn't my son's little girlfriend."

"No," I softly squeaked, not wanting to face this now.

"What are you talking about? Sang is dating Dakota," Erica defended and more tears flowed down my face.

Standing at the entrance to my boy's hospital room and I was about to become hated by all of their families.

"Ah, I was told that she was seeing my boy Luke," Uncle interjected.

I heard Mr Morgan let out a surprised laugh, "Well isn't that interesting."

I trembled harder and fixed my gaze on the floor.

"Sang?" Erica asked with a catch in her voice and I sobbed over her pain and my own.

None of the boy's were here to tell me how to handle this so I just sniffled and told them the truth, "I'm not dating any of them."

"What?" Erica asked in bewilderment, "What do you mean? Kota took you on a date."

I shook my head, "I don't know why they wanted you all to think that I was dating one of them but I wasn't. The night I went out with Kota to the football game, I was with Nathan as well. I just went along with whatever they told me to."

"Why?" Uncle demanded, "Why would any of them lie to us about that? We would have accepted that you were just their friend."

I shook my head, "I don't know. I'm sorry," I hiccuped, "I'm so so sorry."

"That doesn't explain..." I heard Mr Morgan stop abruptly when the doors opened and Dr Roberts walked through with a man I'd never seen before.

I stayed back slightly as everyone else moved closer to speak to the doctors.

"What's going on?" Mrs Morgan demanded.

"We haven't identified the substance but they all appear to be stable and are breathing without assistance. We will continue to run tests and keep them under close watch but at this point all we can do is care for them as we would any other patient in a coma."

"Will they ever wake up?" Erica asked in a devastated tone.

"At this point, that's something I can't answer but I will tell you that physically they are all fine and in no danger."

"Can I see my brother?" Jessica asked in a small whisper.

The stranger looked down at her with a kind look, "Of course, this room will be open to all of you unless we need to conduct something that requires that you leave."

"Please keep us informed," Uncle asked.

"I will."

They all filed passed the two figures in white coats as I hung back, unsure of my welcome. Was I even allowed in there with them?

My whole being screamed at me to just run in there to see them but I didn't want to cause any of their families distress by barging in.

I was completely afloat. I had no idea what to do or where to turn. For as long as I'd known them, the nine boys had been my everything and it seemed as though they'd been ripped from me.

Why?