Part 3

This couldn't be happening to me.

I'd slammed the door shut behind me as I raced after Dr Roberts to jump into his still running car.

In the front seat I turned to him, "What's going on? What's happened?" I was completely terrified of his answer but I needed to know.

Which one of them had been hurt enough to warrant a personal pickup from one the highest authorities in the Academy hospital?

Please God, no!

He let out a weary sigh as he kept his eyes on the road and his fingers clenched around the steering wheel, "Sang, there's been an accident on the last assignment. The boys..."

He fell into silence and I felt like screaming in pain and anger.

"What?"

He seemed reluctant to go on, "The boys were attacked when they entered a warehouse in down town Charleston. They were all shot with hollow darts which we believe were filled with a chemical."

I sobbed, "Are they dead?"

He shot me a quick look, "No, but whatever it was has affected their neuro-functions. They have effectively been put into comas."

Tears leaked down my cheeks and I tried to brush them away, "What does that mean? Are they going to wak up?"

Another shake, "I don't know at this point. We have yet to identify the chemical that has been used, which means that we can't treat them without there being some high risks."

"What risks? People are put into comas all the time."

"Yes they are but if we don't know exactly was used to induce it, we may end up injecting them with something that may put too much pressure on their brain and kill them."

I hunched over in agony. "What can we do?"

"Wait for the results and pray. I'm taking you to them now because I know it's what they would want but Sang?"

"Yes?" I whispered, not wanting to hear anything else until I'd seen for myself that they were all still alive.

"You need to start preparing yourself for the worst case scenario. If we can't counteract the drugs, we may still lose them all."