[53] An Informant's Infamy

Start from the beginning

"He's right, though. We have no clue where we're going exactly, and we can't afford to waste time. I hate to admit it, but we don't really have an option right now!"

For a moment, nobody responded, everybody staring at you with pursed lips and dubious gazes. Denki was the first to reply to your small outburst.

". . . I trust you, [Y/n]. I say we listen to what he has to say."

Mina backed him up, giving you a strained but genuine smile. Hanta and Neito, on the other hand, didn't seem as willing or keen on following suit, but after a moment, both relented. It didn't stop Neito from shooting a particularly vicious glare at you and then Chrollo, though, muttering how you were going to get them all killed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, asshole.

Turning back to Chrollo again, you crossed your arms in an attempt to make you look more secure than you really felt right now. "Earlier, you confirmed we were looking for information. You know an informant." Tone accusing, your words weren't a question. You knew that Chrollo wouldn't have approached you with an opening line like that if he didn't already know somebody, and the widening of Chrollo's smile proved just that.

God, did he have to look so smug?

"I do."

When Chrollo didn't elaborate anymore, you huffed, resisting the urge to roll your eyes. "Well, can you take us to them?"

"If you answer just one question," he bargained, nearly causing you to groan. Seeing that you weren't going to protest, Chrollo asked away. "That being inside of you . . . Ai . . . Why isn't it helping you?"

Leave it to Pariston to have told everybody about your little parasite friend. Bristling at Chrollo's usage of the word 'it' to refer to your companion, you scowled. No way in hell were you going to tell him about Ai's (hopefully) temporary disappearance, but if you lied, Chrollo would catch it just as easily.

Think . . . Think!

Luckily, one of your friends came in clutch for you, although it wasn't the one you expected.

"Ai can't go to somebody they don't know, so since we don't know any informants, Ai is useless," Neito proclaimed haughtily, hands on his hips. "[Y/n] wants to find out more about Ai before we go back, so that's why we need an informant."

Okay, asshole or not, you could seriously kiss Neito at his life-saving explanation.

Chrollo examined you for a few seconds more, expression inscrutable, before nodding. You weren't sure if he believed you or not, but he finally nodded. "Very well. Follow me."

You couldn't help but tense as Chrollo walked past you, and for a moment none of you moved as he continued to walk.

"Well? Do you plan on just standing around all day?"

Chrollo's help had lead your group outside of a rickety-looking antique shop, aged much beyond its years. Skeptically, you looked up at the sign that seemed ready to fall at any moment.

"'Old World Oddities' . . ?" The name felt weird on your tongue, and Chrollo didn't look back at you as he entered the shop, leaving your group to exchange bewildered looks.

"I guess we should go in?" Denki wasn't too sure of the situation himself, but you all nodded anyways, following suit.

Chrollo wasn't anywhere you could see — the store was small and only consisted of one room, the walls covered in overflowing and cramped shelves. There were no aisles, just a counter and a door that probably led to the back. Had Chrollo went back there?