The Killer's Confession

Bosko’s looking at a picture of her sister on her phone when Sherry, Athena and the DA join her.

“Are you ready?” Sherry asks first thing. “They’ve agreed to not file your statement until the plea deal is in place.”

Athena and the DA take their seats, the DA getting a pad of paper out.

“We’re taking the statement of Lena Bosko in regards to the shooting of Chase Mackey.” he says. “Start from the beginning.”

Sherry nods, then gestures for Bosko to begin.

Maddie’s looking through the papers on Athena’s desk when someone comes in. Immediately, she hides them behind her back.

“Where’s Athena?”

“Oh, hey Bobby. She and the DA are taking down Lena’s statement.” Maddie sets the papers down behind her. “But the real question here is, how’s Chris?”

“He’s talking a mile a minute. Playing with his stuffed Dory Buck got for him on the anniversary of the tsunami. When you squeeze it, she sings ‘Just keep swimming.’”

Maddie laughs, “Guess we should be glad it’s not a Miguel doll singing ‘Remember Me’, huh?”

Bobby looks at her pointedly, “I know. The last thing he needs is for him to remember this day.”

Maddie nods, “But you know he’s going to anyway, right? The day he almost lost his Bucky.”

“My sister Susie has Down’s syndrome, and lives in a group home for people with special needs. We came to Chase Mackey because she was wrongfully evicted from her group home. He told me we’d get Susie back where she belonged by the end of the month. Susie loved her group home, and to be wrongfully evicted broke her heart. But the truth is, digging up dirt on people was Mackey's MO. Much like he did with the 118 firehouse, he did the same to the other residents, and even the staff members that took care of her.”

The DA asks, “How did you know?”

“Because I was there with her when Mackey questioned them all. You didn’t see her afterwards. None of them would speak to her, not even to say hi or ask how she was doing. She spent over an hour crying, and nothing I said or did could calm her down.

And then, out of nowhere, Mackey said he got the group home to reach a fair settlement. I can’t say the exact number, but I can say while it wasn’t anywhere near what Buckley’s was, it would’ve been enough for her to have the best aides looking after her, and the best group home for people with Down’s syndrome in the county.

But just like Buckley, Susie didn’t want it. She just wanted to go back to the group home she knows and loves. She has such a big, forgiving heart. She kept telling me that if she could just come back, she’d do everything they said, without complaint.

And finally, someone from the group home called and said they’d take her back, on the condition Susie dropped the lawsuit. Susie happily agreed, and she moved back in at the first chance she got.

But it wasn’t the end. Mackey kept visiting her, trying to push her to reopen the case. She finally got upset enough to where she didn’t want to see him anymore. Which, of course, is when he came to me. Said if I didn’t reopen the case, he’d make sure Susie got kicked out permanently, and be blackballed from any and all health and home care she needed.