The Weapon

Eddie walks right into the pawn shop, the bell signalling to the cashier someone just walked in.

“We’re about to close up for the night.” the cashier tells him. “Don’t have the keys for the display cases.”

Eddie’s quick to assure him, “That’s okay. I’m just here to look at the stuff that just came in. Shouldn’t take long.”

The guy behind the counter looks like he wants to kick Eddie out anyway, but all he says is, “Fine. Don’t tell anyone I said it was okay.”, then sets the box on the counter, and walks to the back room.

The second he’s gone, he looks past the box, moving behind the counter to snoop until he sees what he’s looking for.

He carefully opens the wooden box, revealing the small gun collection he sold back when he and Chris first came to LA, to hold them off until they got a real job.

For a moment, Eddie just stands there, wondering if he’s really going to do this.

Mackey’s checking his phone when he hears behind him,

“Mackey.”

Mackey turns, and sure enough, it’s Evan Buckley himself.

“Wow.” Mackey smiles. “Looks like I hit the jackpot. First your captain, then your sweetheart, and now the 118’s charity case.”

Buck ignores this, “We have some unfinished business we need to take care of, don’t we?”

Mackey shakes his head, “Oh I don’t think so, charity case.”

Buck snaps, “You’re gonna want to stop calling me that.”

Mackey laughs, “Why? If the secondhand slipper fits...”, then smirks. “Your precious captain still worships the ground you walk on, even though you threw his alcoholism back in his face. Your boyfriend still wants you in his kid’s life despite losing him in the tsunami. Only a charity case would ever get away with something like that.”

Buck’s in no mood to listen, “Enough.”

Mackey shakes his head, “No, I’m not going to be rushed on this. You might have that whole team wrapped around your little finger, but what about everyone else? Anybody who knows the truth would have to question if you’re fit to be a father to anyone, much less that little crippled kid.”

Buck doesn’t even bother responding, just swings his fist right into Mackey’s face.

Mackey's words run through Eddie's head again,

"You’re an army man. Try and teach them a thing or two about following orders. Because you all answer to me now.”

That's all the reason he needs to pick one of the guns up, getting a feel for it back in his hands.

Mackey stumbles back, wiping a hand over his mouth, before replying,

“I think we both know this has been a long time coming, don’t we?”