The Questioning

The first piece of good news they receive is one they’d honestly forgotten about.

With Mackey dead, therefore no longer pushing the case, and due to lack of real evidence of abuse, the CPS case was officially dropped.

Buck and Eddie hug excitedly when they hang up, Eddie telling him, “See? I told you it was all going to work out!”

Buck wants to believe that, despite the sinking feeling, but he pushes that aside, not wanting anything to ruin this excitement, “God I hope so.”

They share a kiss, then Eddie says, “I’m gonna go put the gun back, and pick up our son.”

Eddie moves to do just that, only to get surprise #2 waiting for him on his doorstop.

“Edmundo Diaz?” the uniformed officer asks.

Eddie nods, “That’s me.”

The officer tells him, “I’m going to need you to come with me.”

About an hour later, there’s a knock on the door, and when Buck answers it, he finds Athena.

“Hey. Eddie’s on his way to go grab Chris from his abuela.”

Athena steps inside, telling him, “I’m actually not here to see Eddie. I’m here to talk to you.”

Athena turns, “About Mr. Chase Mackey.”

“Mr. Diaz, please. Have a seat.” Officer Hastings gestures to the seat in front of him,wary of the gun still in the duffle bag he’s carrying.

“Is it safe to assume you know why you’re here?”

Eddie answers honestly as he sits down, “Actually, I don’t.”

Hastings is quick to say, “Well you can relax. Put your duffle bag down. This could take a while.”

Eddie complies, slowly setting it down so he doesn’t make the same mistake as last time.

Hastings catches it, repeating, “Like I said, relax. There’s no reason to be nervous. I just have to ask you some questions about last night. Just protocol for witnesses and the response team.”

Eddie quickly answers, “Unfortunately there’s nothing I witnessed.”

Hastings asks, “You were at the scene of the crime, weren’t you? As part of the 118?”

Eddie shakes his head, “Actually, no. I’d left beforehand because I had a scheduled supervised visit with my son.”

“So you didn’t see Chase Mackey covered in blood?” Hasting pushes.

Seeing what the cop’s getting at, Eddie tells him, “No, but I did show up at the hospital after my partner called me and told me what happened. Got a pretty good picture from there. But a bunch of other people were there too.”

Hastings states, “Looks like we got a lot of people to question. Starting with you. Mr. Diaz, is there anything you remember about last night, at all, that might help us catch Chase Mackey’s murderer?”