a place to remember

We clicked right away with Sally. We had a drink or two, then we ran through the halls of the Hotel. Even though we had fun, i couldn't shake the feeling that something about her wasn't... here. We went back to the bar, to chill out. 

The barista was a bald woman that was wearing a long, flowy dress. Her makeup was done well, rocking a big, thick eyeliner. Sally was totally a little 'tipsy' already, so i was talking to the barista.

"How come i've never heard of this hotel before?" i put my empty whiskey glass down and put a cigarette in my mouth. The barista chuckled and took my empty glass off the table and came to light up my cigarette.

"The Countess wants to keep it low-key" The barista put the lighter on the table, in case i needed it. I was confused about who was this "The Countess" so i asked.

"Who is he anyways?", i took the cigarette out of my mouth and blew the smoke out. The barista looked at me

"She. She owns the hotel", she sighed, "shame she's never here." The barista smiled, but i could clearly see she was bothered by this. I just looked at the barista, smoking at the same time, until i felt someone touch my shoulders from behind. I turned around and saw Sally hardly standing up, 'cause she was so drunk.

"Goddamn, you scared me" i sighed out of relief. Sally could barely keep her eyes open and was moving like zombie, not saying a word. 

"I'm gonna go to sleep, see you tomorrow", she finally got the words out. I said goodnight to her and asked if she needed help, but she refused. The barista was wiping the tables clean and then turned to me

"Tomorrow? are you gonna move in?" She seemed concerned. I said yes, and that's when it got weird.

"you're gonna regret it, the worst mistake of your life". She said and turned around to do the dishes, not making eye contact, once. I just stood there, saying nothing and thinking about what i was just being told.

"what's your name?" i leaned onto the table looking at her, waiting for her to answer.

"Liz, and believe me, i've worked here long enough to know" she said over her shoulder after a long pause. I put my cigarette out on the glass plate that was full of old, smoked cigarettes. I sat down on one of the expensive looking chairs.

"Well, Liz, here is better than the cold, ruthless streets of California". Liz laughed and turned to me, finally making eye contact.

"you'd be surprised of how wrong you are." She smiled. I stood up again, taking my coat and putting it on me. When the coat was finally on me i smiled and sighed

"goodnight Liz, see you tomorrow, when i move in". She giggled and i heard her saying

"you're gonna regret it".