Chapter 39

--------------------xxxx-----xxxx-----------------

"There's not much I can do

Except try my best

Which I always do."

~Tom Holland

--------------------xxxx-----xxxx-----------------

Alex's P.O.V

"Grab a couple guns and get to a secure spot.", Nate says, grabbing his own firearm and running out.

Quickly grabbing a few guns and some ammo I run out of the shed.

Finding Ben in the chaos, I make my way to him awaiting instructions. Spotting me, he motions for me to stick with him.

The explosions had died down, through the smoke I could see that the bunkers were still standing but there were still a few bodies littered all over. Turning away from the sight I force myself to focus.

"From where?", I ask in a hushed voice.

"The west, we got a couple of them.", He whispers back, gesturing to the bodies and I let out a sigh of relief that the bodies weren't of our own.

"But I don't truly know how many are there.", Ben continues, looking out through the smoke.

"Where's-", I start but am cut off by a booming voice in the middle of the camp that makes my heart stop.

"I'm Nathaniel Walker, the General. State what you want and why you have initiated this attack."

"What is he doing?", I hiss out softly turning to Ben.

He shrugs his shoulders, his features feigning nonchalance but his posture was stiff and ready to run out there, his eyes fixed on his best friend.

"Son of a Kraken. What does he think he's trying to do?", I whisper to myself as I try and struggle to put a power shield over me.

None of my magic seemed to be working at this point. Letting out a frustrated sigh I turn to face Nate again.

Everything was silent while Nate stood his ground on full alert.

"Alex, your magic?", Ben asks me softly, glancing at me.

I let my silence answer his question my eyes still fixed on Nate.

"Damn it.", I hear Ben curse under his breath.

I needed to do something. There was no way this silence on their part meant their retreat.

"Benjamin.", I say getting him to face me.

"Cover me.", I say before standing up and sprinting out.

"Wait! Alex!", I hear him say from behind me.

I run straight into Nate tackling him behind the nearest building just as an explosion goes off where he was standing.

"What were you thinking?", We say at the same time.

Rolling my eyes at him as he glares at me, I look back out to see explosion after explosion.

"Looks like they're all in some sort of an arc formation to the west. What should we-", I start but I'm cut off as a blast goes off right infront of me throwing me off my feet.

"Alex!", I can hear Nate's scream over the ringing in my ears as he rushes to my side.

"Holy Strix! Okay I'll go get some help you'll be fine.", He says picking me up and carrying me to the corner.