Chapter Seven

The next day, when the acid rain settled into only-slighty- corrosive puddles, Luz put on her uniform with a big smile.

Luz hugged her mentor tightly. "I'm sure if I stop worrying and really put my mind to it, I can tell Amity."

Eda smiled forcefully.

"I believe in you, Kiddo."

Lillth took a long slurp of coffee.

"Come straight home if you don't tell her. It could have fatal consequences."

Eda couldn't say anything to that. It had been almost a month since this had all started.

Luz nodded solemnly and waved goodbye to Hooty.

King played on Luz's phone while she was at school, but it didn't last very long with all the tabs he kept open. Eda snatched it from him.

"Hey!"

"No phone for you today mister. I need you to go and, um, fetch jelly pastries."

"Jelly pastries?"

"Yep! Just tons of em. I'll catch up."

King eyed her suspiously. "Why do I have a feeling youre just pulling this out of your hair?"

"Just go, King."

When the demon was gone, Eda motioned for Lillith to sit next to her.

"Lily?"

"Yes, Edalyn?"

"I know your're kinda-sorta banned indefinatly from the Emperors Coven, but you don't think you could pull a couple strings? The operation for Hanahaki is complicated, and I couldnt do it with my magic like this."

"Edalyn, are you actually being serious for once?"

"Shut your trap! I told Luz I'd give her a chance and you know how little I trust healers. But she's  fragile, Lily. And she's just a kid. " Eda let a few tears slip away.

Lillith hadn't seen Eda cry in years.

"You fear for her like one of our own."

"She is my own. Not by blood, maybe. Luz is family to me."

Lillth tried to wrap her mind around that.

"You know I had the procedure done?

"You had Hanahaki?"

"Never. The Emeror's Coven did it as a procatutionary measure."

She'll never be in love again. Eda realized.

"Lillith, I had no idea."

"It's not something I love talking about."

"It's just- I remeber my first love. Diamonda Spider. And she sure liked me too. The nerves only lasted a day. But Luz and Amity? They're head over hells for eachother and can't even tell." Eda chuckled.

"Amity?" Lillith asked. "Amity Blight?"

"Witch's duel? That Amity."

"Yes, I'm aware. I'm also aware of what's being said about the Blight's parenting."

"Is it anything awful?"

"I'm not certain. If Luz is as strong as you say, she'll be fine."