Chapter Five

Luz continued to attend classes with little upset. Eda made up her mind to ignore Lillith, it seemed easier that way. Besides, Hooty appreciated the extra attention. A week and some change passed before a shower of acid rain hit, and after a hurried attempt to cover the house in a protective tarp, the household settled into a lesson in ice glyphs.

Lilith, once she stopped whing, got a good handle on it. While Eda was working a bit harder, she observed Luz contently bouncing a few snowballs in her hands.

When the sisters were younger, Lilith and Eda made abomination-type snow monsters to chase each other with. Hour after hour during The Boiling Isle's harshest winter, they didn't stop until their mother called them inside for dinner. Sometimes not even then.

But Luz, she enjoyed her small flurries. She enjoyed sitting in dark corners over tiny paper squares. She read for fun.

Eda had never understood anything less. But she was glad Luz was there. She understood that.

Amity watched the acid ran pour down as her mother helped perform the hair changing spell.

"I don't understand why you waited so long. People must have noticed."

"I don't think anyone minded."

"Well, I mind!" Mrs. Blight pulled Amity into the chair by her ponytail. "You know how I love my color-coordination."

"Yes Mother. "

"Besides, your father doesn't know what he's talking about. Brown hair is unbecoming on a lady."

Mr. Blight had the biggest smile on his face the day Amity was born. He grinned and danced around and marveled at the sight of his youngest daughter. It was blissful. Until the twins caught a look.

"What's wrong with her?" Emira stuck her tongue out."

"My! What do you mean?"

"She has dirty hair!" Edric laughed.

Mr. Blight sighed. "Well, it's just brown hair. You have green hair like your mother and she has green hair like me."

Mrs. Blight grimaced tiredly from her bed. With a flick of a wrist, Amity's hair was lime green.

"There, fixed it."

"Mother?"

"Yes, Amity?"

"You've heard about the human, right?"

"Unfortunately so. And it's at your school no less!" She scoffed.

Amity's chest ached. She swallowed the feeling down.

"I heard that a witchling at Hexside has become quite- enamored with her."

Mrs. Blight raised an eyebrow. Amity did and said nothing.

"Well, you can tell the witchling that it's disgusting and that humans are to be treated as the wastes they are."

"D-disgusting?"

"It's not what The Titan intended for us."

The spell was completed.

"Mother, what does the Titan want for us?"

"Power. " Mrs. Blight insisted, not skipping a beat. "Love between witches. Not to mention honesty. It's the only way to live happily. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Good girl."

Amity left the room and pretty much crawled to the spare bathroom. Where she turned the faucet on and spat blossoms into her hands, crying the whole time. Maybe her mother was right.