06. The Men by the Lake

Start from the beginning

Finally, with a deep breath I shoved the closed door open and entered the room. The demon looked startled; the man didn’t even notice me as he lay face to face with a growling mutt.

I recognised his face, this demon had been there when I was in Hell; he’d pass by my cell on a daily, a smirk constantly playing on his lips as he teased the pain I went through. And now, it’s my turn to get revenge.

‘Katia Bryant, or do you prefer Winchester now?’ the demon asked; he reminded me of Crowley, only a little though... Crowley was better.

‘Go to Hell,’ I hissed as I pulled the Purgatory blade out from behind my back; the poor man who already had blood trickling down his face looked up to meet my eyes, I could see the glimmer of hope that flickered in his eyes as he realised he actually had a chance of surviving.

‘You’re too late, Katy; he’s already a lost soul!’ the demon- whose name I had never bothered to learn- announced as he looked towards the victim. ‘These hounds already have a thirst for this man’s blood,’ the demon continued to hiss as he dragged his fingers through his greasy, long, grey hair.

‘Stop them then, let him go, take me,’ I practically begged. Just the thought of being slightly responsible for someone’s death scares me.

‘Attack!’ the demon chimed; immediately the Hellhounds pounced on the poor victim, piercing screams erupted from his mouth and I couldn’t bear to look in his direction.

I froze; I should’ve helped him, tried harder. All I felt was anger, and rage towards the demon who was entertaining himself by killing innocent men. The Purgatory blade seemed to take control of me, without thinking twice I plunged it straight through the heart of the damned demon.

It took him by surprise as I twisted the jagged blade; his face seemed to drop and he grimaced when the pain struck him. The look of pure hatred didn’t budge from my face until I yanked the blade from his chest; the demon was dead and his Hellhounds seemed to follow leaving a torn up man in their place.

‘Katia!’ Dean yelled as he charged into the room I was in. He looked at the bleeding body of the victim first before turning to me, and then he turned to the demon that was collapsed on the bed.

‘I messed up; I was too late,’ I stammered as I stared at the body of the victim. ‘We need to go,’ I announced; in my hand I still held the Purgatory blade- which Dean had now seen- and blood dripped from the tip and onto the carpet.

-

Sam had insisted that we all came back to the motel to get ourselves cleaned up before heading out to get dinner or something; I really wasn’t hungry and the thought of food made me feel sick. Either way, I was now stood beneath a freezing cold shower- which had once been hot- whilst trying not to cry.

I have just over three months left on Earth and this is how my life is playing out. Crowley is creating his own hunts to remind me of a memory I tried so hard to forget, people are dying because of me and I am lying to the only people I actually trust.

With a sniffle, which was mainly from being stood in the freezing water for so long, I climbed from the shower and quickly picked up my towel before wrapping it around my body.

The jeans I’d been wearing earlier on had splatters of blood on them; I quickly screwed them up and threw them into the same duffle which my Purgatory blade was in. Afterwards, I took some black skinny jeans from my rucksack along with a loose-fitting white top. Once I’d put my underwear on I quickly got dressed; before adding my signature leather jacket- which once belonged to my mother- and a pair of combat boots.