Chapter 7: First Day

Disclaimer: Everything besides Miyu and her family belong to Takeshi Konomi.

$@)&@$)

January...

We got used to each other's presence everyday. At first, I was very nervous to be in the same bed with him, but I got used to it. We would wake each other up. We helped each other get ready for our day. In a way, we acted like a married couple. Tezuka even gotten used to acting like an uncle to Tiffany.

We would spend time together. We played tennis together even though I couldn't play hard as I used too. He would come to my doctor appointments and therapy sessions. He got worried that my heart was still weak. I assured him that everything would be fine.

Spring.....

School started and I was in the same class as Oishi. I wouldn't have PE in my schedule due to my heart condition. I would have independent study. I would use the time to do my homework. I got ready for the boy's tennis club. The team got me a jersey to wear. I was happy that they accepted me again. I made sure the club house was organized and clean. We had some freshman this year.

Tezuka, Oishi, and Ryuzaki-sensei were organizing the ranking matches today. I had to watch the players practice. Already, I saw Arai wanted to pick on a first year. The first year had good control of the ball. He was able to get it into the basket. "Hey, don't show off just because you can play a little tennis. The regulars return today," Arai said. I turned to him. "Arai, stop," I commanded to him. He stopped talking. "Th...They're here!" I heard Horio said. I turned to see the regulars coming in. "Cheers," everyone said.

Oishi told the upperclassmen to make the newcomers to feel like home. He wanted them to hit balls.

"That must be him. The captain, Tezuka, who went undefeated," Horio said with a bit of confidence. I had to giggle at what he said. "I am sorry to say this but, that is the vice captain Oishi," I said with a smile. Kachiro and Katsuo gave Horio the look. Horio looked at me. "Are you the manager of the tennis club?" he asked. I nodded my head. "Yes, I am," I said to him.

I turned to the regulars. The regulars were hitting balls into the basket. You need good control to do it. Oishi slipped and the ball was going towards the boy with the hat. He was able to hit the ball into the basket. Everyone stopped to look at him. I saw Arai angry. Arai went to the boy and grabbed his shirt. "Arai, put him down," I commanded in a stern tone. He didn't let go.

"What are you arguing about on the court?"

I turned and saw Tezuka at the gates. "Buchou. Cheers," everyone said. I didn't have to address him as captain. Nobody but, Fuji and Oishi knew about our engagement. "Penalty for causing disturbance. Run 10 laps around the courts, both of you!" he said. Arai started to talk back. Arai stopped talking.

Tezuka gave everyone something to do. Oishi took Tezuka to talk privately. I had a feeling that they would want Echizen to be part of the ranking matches. I saw no reason for him not to put him in the matches. I went to observe the training. I made sure that Arai and the boy did their laps.

The sun was setting and I was in the girl's locker room to get changed out of my jersey. After I changed into my uniform, I grabbed my bag and head out to see Tezuka waiting for me. "I hope you didn't wait long," I worried. "No. Let me carry your bag," he said. I let him carry my bag. He didn't want me to over exert myself.

We made it home and I washed up for dinner. After my bath, I went to the kitchen and helped Ayana with dinner. We were having soup, eel, and some side dishes. I set the table and saw Tezuka coming down to sit next to his grandfather. I set his rice in front of him and his grandfather. I sat down next to Tezuka. I was used to the family's dinner habits. I got full very easily. I put my chopstick down. Tezuka looked at me. "You need to eat," he said. I knew I had to eat to gain the weight. He looked worried. I continued to eat.

After dinner, I went to start on the dishes. Ayana came over to me quickly. "You don't have to do the dishes," she said. She took the sponge away from me. I went upstairs to our room. I saw Tezuka watching a TV program. I went to my nightstand to take out a heart monitor (Making this up.). It tells me my heart rate. Tezuka saw what I was doing and came over to me. He learned quite a bit about my weaken heart since I started to live here.

The heart monitor showed me my heart rate. "Its ok," I said to him. My heart strengthen a little bit since the incident. My doctor said that it would take years for my heart to recover. Most likely, it would never recover completely. I just had to monitor my heart for the rest of my life. There were certain things I couldn't do.

I put the heart monitor away. Tezuka went back to eating the TV program. I decided to read a book that he recommended me to read. After a while, I looked at the time. It was 10:00 pm. "We should get ready for bed," I told him. We went to the bathroom to wash up for bed. I got to the bed first and went under the cover. I felt the bed shift a bit to indicate that Tezuka got inside the bed. He pulled the cover to my shoulders. "Goodnight," he said. "Goodnight," I said back to him. He turned the light off and we went to sleep.