Chapter Four: Long Lost Friend

Kaori

We bed down for the afternoon in a shady grove by a pond, so Yuki can get some rest.

"Why does she sleep during the day?" Azula grumbles.

"Because she's a cat and an owl, she's nocturnal." I explain. I pull my tent out of my bag.

"Do you even know how to pitch that thing?" Yuki asks, one eye open.

"No." I sigh, holding the tent awkwardly with one hand.

Azula eyes me suspiciously.

"Do you not know how to pitch a tent, peasant?"

"Nope. Do you?"

Azula holds out her hand and I hand the tent over. "There was a time when I didn't, I miss those days."

Azula shows me how to pitch my tent, and then puts hers up right next to mine.

"Why do you need to go to Ba Sing Se anyways?" Azula asks.

I shrug. "I just want to see it."

"You just want to see it...ow!" Azula asks aggressively and then winces.

"Yep."

Azula looks away nervously.

"You scared?" I tease.

"It's not that..." Azula starts. "I may or may not be on the run. If I walk in there without a disguise, it will only cause trouble."

"Told you she was bad news." Yuki rumbles, eyes closed.

"Go to sleep Yuki!" I hiss at the big cat, and then turn to Azula, "Who are you on the run from? And are they in Ba Sing Se?"

"I'm on the run from my brother." Azula narrows her eyes. "And I don't know where he is, but he has eyes everywhere."

"Don't worry." I smile. "I'm on the run too!"

"From who?" Azula's eyes widen.

"I ran away from my village because I didn't want to get married." I explain.

"Married?" Azula scoffs. "You look much too young, what are you, 14?"

"16." I roll my eyes. "I wanted to see the world."

"Do you like the man you are to marry?" Azula asks.

"I like him as a friend." I shrug. "Also, my tribe forbids girls from using waterbending unless it's used for healing. I had to learn in secret."

"How misogynistic." Azula hisses, making me smile. "You know, I probably would have had an arranged marriage too sometime in the future if I hadn't run away, which would have been vile. Also, forbidding girls from bending is just preposterous!"

Azula makes a little flame in her hand and snuffs it out. "I'm way better at firebending than my dear brother, and I'm a girl!"

"Thanks Azula." I say, feeling a little less crazy.

"These people from your village, will they come looking for you?" Azula asks.

"Yes, you're the Crown Princess." Yuki sighs.

"Maybe." I shrug, ignoring Yuki's words. "I don't know how they would get all the way over here though, no one else has a leopard owl like I do."

Azula harrumphs. "Great, before you know it we're going to have the Avatar looking for us."

"The Avatar!" My eyes light up. "I've always wanted to meet him!"

Azula huffs. "He's not that great."