Conflicting Feelings

Start from the beginning

"Question." He smiled up at me. "Answer." I rolled my eyes. "Is this the same compound where I told you to figure out how to store it before you used it?" He crossed his arms in front of his chest and smirked lightly at me. "Yes in fact it is and before you ask yes I have found a mostly safe way to contain it." There was a moment of silence before I broke it. "Do you wanna repeat that sentence for me sapphires and see where you went wrong?" He rolled his eyes.

"I still don't get it." Eugene said. I sighed. "Sapphires wants to surprise the village with hot running water." Varian nodded before gesturing to his machine. "I've constructed 5 of these babies all throughout the caverns." "Wait Varian you made five of these?! Sapphires I know that you just want to make the people of old Corona happy but have you thought this through all the way?" I asked really nervous.

"These tremors, your machines are causing them?" Varian waved off what we both said. "No no no my machines are not causing them. The chemical reactions they trigger do. He took a drop of the solution and put it into the machine causing flames to shoot out of it. "And no one knows you're doing this? Okay listen kiddo. I'm no expert in whatever this is, but anything that can cause earthquakes cannot be safe. We've gotta warn people about this." Eugene said before Varian started getting upset. "No! We can't! You gave me your word you'd keep this a secret. And besides, I'm an expert, and this is all perfectly safe." Suddenly a bolt from the machine flew heading straight for Varian. I pulled my almost finished wand out and a pink mist wrapped around the bolt right before his forehead.

Varian looked at me and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah it d-does that all the time." I sighed and the bolt fell to the ground. We ended up leaving the lab with me trailing behind both of them. "Team Awesome is back!" Varian said as he entered the lab. "Now Rapunzel, I know my tests have been a pain in the..." he paused. "Ass? Yeah probably sapphs." I said walking over to him and started inserting the wires where they needed to go. "Aww I wouldn't say pain." Suddenly Rapunzel was electrocuted. "Now I would."

Varian started helping me starch the press. "In a moment, this little guy, he'll give us all the answers we want." Rapunzel cheered. 'The sooner all of this is over with the sooner I can help Varian clean up the town.'

"So Eugene. Got yourself a secret huh?" Cassandra and Eugene started talking. Soon the trembling started again but this time Varian fell on top of me. "You just couldn't stay away from me could you Sapphires?" I asked with a small smirk. He rolled his eyes. "Very funny milday. You stole that from me." I shrugged and he pulled me up with him. "Can we talk?" Eugene asked us.

"Uh of course. That's what team awesome does." Eugene pulled both of us outside. "Those things down there are dangerous." Eugene said staring down at Varian. "Dangerous? No they're not dangerous." While they were talking I started walking back to the shed that had the entrance to the tunnels. I descended down the ladder with a lantern and stared up at the machine. "Looks like it's just me shutting these off." I went up to the machine only to have another tremble occur.

The dials for the machine were all in the red area. "(Y/n)?! What are you doing down here?!" Varian asked running up to me. "There no time! Varian this thing is gonna blow soon!" Varian suddenly knocked over the beaker full of Flynnoleum. We both tried to clean it up but it was no use. "Cmon there's not time!!! I'll get the ones in the south you get the ones in the north!" I yelled before climbing the ladder and sprinting towards the other machines.

'Okay breathe. Time to practice that new spell!' I took a deep breath before waving a circle around my head with the wand. My body slowly started to vanish. I appeared in front of one of the machines. I quickly shut it off. I repeated the spell and turned off the other one in my area before doing the spell again and appearing back in old Corona.

I saw Varian sprinting across the town with Cassandra hot on his heels. I ran after them both. Cassandra was able to stop Varian but there was an explosion and a piece of metal went flying to them. I pointed my wand up at it. The pink mist surrounded the metal, but it was heavy. I was able to stop it before it hit them. "Hurry!! I don't know how long I can hold it!!!" I yelled to them. Cassandra pulled Varian out from underneath it. The pink mist vanished once they were out, and the metal fell onto the ground hard.

Soon we heard someone shouting out for Varian. I looked over my shoulder and saw Quirin. "Uh oh. It's my dad." Varian said. Quirin put his hands on his shoulders. "Are you okay? What happened?" Quirin asked checking to make sure Varian wasn't hurt. "Dad I'm sorry." Quirin sighed. "Not again Varian." "But dad-" Quirin turned to face the villagers. "Is everybody okay?"

I watched as Varian started picking up pieces of metal. I bent down and started helping him. "(Y/n) you don't have to help." He said not looking up at me. I didn't respond and continued to help clean the village of scrap metal.

After a few hours we cleaned up a good majority of the mess. Sunny however was no help. He mainly just started taking and playing with pieces he found interesting. "Hey sapphires?" He turned to me. "If it makes you feel better, I thought your idea for hot running water was genius. Your heart was definitely in the right place. And in my dream the last thing I saw before I woke up was me running away to turn off the machines. Now I know that everyone's safe!" I said smiling up at him. He gave me a weak smile in return. "Thank you that means a lot to me." I nodded. "I was also able to turn off all of the ones near and under the fields so the only thing damaged were things that could be rebuilt." It was his turn to nod. "Thank you for staying and helping." He said sitting down by his now destroyed lab. "Why wouldn't I stay and help? I'll always be here for when something doesn't go as planned Varian. Like how I know if something doesn't go the way it's supposed to for me, I know you'll be right by my side to help me."

I heard him sigh and he turned to face me. "Can I tell you something?" I giggled. "Sapphires you can tell me anything!" He took a deep breath. "Do you think I could get Cassandra to like me?" My eyes widened. "Wh-what did you say?" "I asked if you think I could get Cassandra to like me?"

I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. There were tears starting to fill the corners of my eyes. I turned away from him and half smiled at the now setting sun. "Varian I think you could make anyone fall for you if that's what you're asking." I stood up and brushed the dirt off of my skirt. "Well Sunny and I better start heading home. I'll see you next Wednesday?" I asked picking up Sunny. "But what about your wand?"

I bit my lip softly. "It's alright! You've going to be busy here for a bit so I can try and figure it out myself. Plus I'll come by every week to help you rebuild the lab." I said while petting Sunny behind his ears. "O-okay. Have a safe trip to the meadow." I nodded and started walking back. 'Did I wait to long to talk to him? Will I ever get a chance tell him?'