Chapter Nine * Warning

I was excited for Rain to come home tomorrow

I was excited for Rain to come home tomorrow. He must not have had the time to contact me because I've not heard from him all day. It's been so lovely hearing from him while he was away. It made missing him a little more bearable. That was until I overheard a conversation between two nurses today.

I try to convince myself that they were not talking about my Rain, but I know they were. How many damn Rain's could there possibly be in the greater Harrisburg area?

I hate how their words made me feel. Rain has admitted that he was a player in the past and never slept with the same woman twice. Why does it hurt so much knowing that the blonde, large-breasted nurse slept with my man? God, just hearing her gush about how amazing he was in bed and how she still hopes that he'll call even though it's been six months since she had sex with him has me fuming.

She had to be the girl right before me or directly after we met. My head knows that I shouldn't hold it against Rain, but my heart hurts at the thought of him being with that woman.

Kelsey touches my shoulder. "Hey. What's wrong? You've been staring at that same MRI for ten minutes."

"Nothing. I'm fine," I snap back.

"I'm fine is the definition of not being fine. Spill it."

I know Kelsey means well, but I have no intention of repeating what I overheard earlier about Rain.

"I just miss Rain, okay?" It's not a lie.

She pats my shoulder. "Rain comes home tomorrow, right?"

"Yep," I quip, wanting this conversation to end.

"You can handle one more day, Summer. He travels a lot. I hope that you're not going to mope around every time Rain goes away on business."

I force a smile onto my face. "I know. It's just hard."

Kelsey looks at me with understanding. "I'm sure it is. At least he has been in contact with you while he was away this time."