Chapter Eight * Revelation

I wasn't prepared to meet Summer's mom this morning

I wasn't prepared to meet Summer's mom this morning. It took me a moment to get over my initial shock and turn on the charm. I tell myself not to look at her as Summer's mother but as a woman. If there's one thing that I know how to handle, it's a woman.

Instead of offering her my hand, I pull her into a casual hug. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Valerie. I can see where Summer gets her beauty."

She looks at Summer and grins. "This one's a keeper, Summer."

Summer beams at me and winks. "He sure is."

I return her smile and feel that now familiar tug at my heart as I release her mother from my arms. What is this woman doing to me? I ask myself that question daily.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Summer inquires.

Valerie shrugs. "You never called me back."

"Seriously, I just got up and was enjoying my breakfast. I haven't had the opportunity to call you back." Summer does not even try to hide her irritation.

Valerie looks at our half-eaten breakfast. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I should leave."

"Now that you're here, you can at least tell me what was so important that you had to drive here to tell me."

I watch the back and forth discussion between Summer and her mom, causing me to feel a bit awkward. Do I continue to stand here or go to finish my breakfast?

Thank God Summer saves me. "Rain, why don't you finish your breakfast before it gets cold."

I kiss her cheek and nod towards Valerie. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Valerie."

"Trust me; the pleasure's all mine. Summer's never had a boyfriend before."

"Mom!" Summer is full-on blushing, and I love it!