epilogue two: the 2000s

Start from the beginning

but theo's already off, flying his dragon above his head and running through the bookcases, making wind and fire sound effects between his roars.

i cross my arms and look down at draco, who's shaking his head as i smile.

"i don't think he knows what the word possibility means, dear," i laugh, amused as he leans back in his chair with a sigh.

"of course he does, he's a—"

"fucking genius?" i raise my eyebrow with a whisper, "so i've heard."

draco smiles widely, laughing with me before he turns his head to the side, watching as theo stops by the window and continues playing.

"do you have a shift at the hospital friday?" he asks, still watching theo talk to the stuffed dragon.

i shake my head, "i can swap with daph."

draco nods slowly, pursing his lips in thought. "i'll talk to potter, then, should be fine. i worked overtime last week, and can pick up extra tuesday—"

"i'm sure he'll give you one day off, draco, without strings attached," i say, sitting down on the arm of the chair.

ever since draco started working for harry, he's been a model employee. not a toe out of line. not a single sick day. picks up other shifts when they've got to be out, writes extra reports on any incident, offers to go on the abroad trips no one else wants to handle.

i think it's just another way for him to pay reparations— to repair his guilt from the war.

draco shrugs, "i'll stay late tuesday to make up." he says decidedly, nodding his head.

i sigh, knowing that reasoning with him is no use. i click my tongue softly, "long as your back for dinner."

draco turns his head to me, placing a hand lightly on my leg slung over the side of his. hair. "cross my heart," he says with a smile, stretching to kiss my cheek.

he pats his hands on his thighs the moment after, sighing as he stands and walks over to where theo's still sitting, swinging the dragon in circles around his head.

__________________________

2006

"now, c'mon! we have to get him this one!" draco whines, holding a broomstick in his hands.

i scoff, shaking my head firmly, "theo's turning seven, draco. we'll get him a training broom, not the newest fire bolt. that things a death trap—"

"it's the best broom on the market—!"

"for children who are trained," i say, plucking the broom from his hands and placing it back on the shelf. "now where do they keep the bluebottle? i've heard that's the most kid friendly," i murmur, walking back throughout the store.

draco follows quickly behind, groaning the whole way, "kid friendly my ass—"

"language," i scold, glaring back at him.

draco rolls his eyes, "theo's not even here—"

(he was being watched by luna and daphne, giving us time to get out of the house and arrange things for his birthday later this week)

"oh! here they are!" i exclaim, finally finding the bluebottle display. i snatch up one of the informational pamphlets, beginning to read while draco leans up against the shelf next to me, scrunching his face as he examines the broom.