Chapter 19 ❁ Parental Units

Start from the beginning

My insides, although twisted into a nervous mess, felt warm and fuzzy with the hopes of our future together.

It was late in the evening when we pulled into the Malfoy's driveway. The house loomed over us like a mountain and Draco was visibly shaking.

"I'm excited!" I lied, trying to make him feel better.

He gave me a knowing look and squeezed my hand, pushing the car door open with his other.

We had parked far down the driveway. Far enough away that Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy wouldn't have heard the car pull in. Draco was still gripping my hand and holding me close.

Our steps sounded like far away gunfire on the stones leading to the front door. I did my best to quiet the sound the soles of my shoes made but it ended up being to no avail.

When we reached the front door Draco took a deep breath and turned to me.

"We are walking into the dragons layer right now. Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked.

"Your parents don't bite do they?" I asked sarcastically. Draco didn't seem amused.

"I'm serious Angel. I don't want you doing anything you're uncomfortable with."

I popped my mouth open and jumped towards the door, giving him a sideways glance as I did so. Teasing him. He smiled and kissed my cheek before letting me knock on the wood.

A few painfully long seconds passed before a house elf, in a dirty pillow case, turned the handle and finally let me see the grand entrance hall of Malfoy Manor.

There was a large, silver chandelier hanging from the ceiling which was painted in a color I couldn't quite make out in the dark. It could have been black or dark grey or even navy blue. To be completely honest, the  house was like a castle and it took my breath away. I felt Draco next to me but I barely registered his presence. 

"This is- where I stay when I'm not at Hogwarts... I guess," Draco blushed.

"Your home you mean?" I asked.

"Of sorts. My home is wherever you are Angel."

"And mine is with you," I replied, thanking myself for the quick reply.

He kissed the top of my head lovingly and I pushed up onto my tiptoes to kiss his lips. Every time we touched it felt like a rare moment, like we might not get many more. Maybe I was being paranoid. Maybe it was because we were in Malfoy Manor, a house that had harbored the man who wanted to kill me, many times. 

I shook those thoughts out of my head and took Draco's hand as the house elf led us into a room connected to the entrance hall. 

I took in the grandeur of it all- the pure silver picture frames, the paintings in them of wizards and witches I'd never seen before in very fancy clothing, silver candelabras I'd be less surprised to see walking and dancing than sitting still like they were now.

My eyes fell on a heavy, dark wood, bookshelf. The novels were all leather bound and although I saw none of my favorites (though I wasn't expecting to because they were all written and enjoyed by muggles, not the likes of Draco's parents) the volumes sat there were splendid works of fiction by wizard authors.

I noticed a few I'd read before, A Wand So Dark And Powerful, The Scarlett Owl, Where The Mandrakes Grow.

Such books were full of dark prospects and curses of a made up sort. I'd loved them all very deeply although for some reason probably pertaining to the fact I was walking hand-in-hand with Draco Malfoy towards the inevitable meeting with his parents, I couldn't seem to remember the plot of a single one.

When we finally reached what the house elf said was the parlor Draco told the elf he could go and suddenly we were alone again.

I heard Draco take a deep breathe, pulling in every ounce of calm he could before stepping into the storm. I followed suit, keeping my eyes on him the whole time.

"I should tell you Angel. I'm terrified. So completely terrified of whatever is going to happen in there," he whispered.

"You don't have to be. I can-"

"Take care of yourself. I know. That doesn't stop me from worrying about you."

I smiled at him carefully.

"Just- promise not to let go of my hand," Draco murmured.

"I promise."

With one last forced breath Draco pushed the door open and stepped into the room that lay over the threshold. 

I tightened my grasp of his hand and made myself walk through the door as well, immediately noticing his mother who was turning around to face us. His father sat- with startlingly good posture- on a leather coach off to one side.

"Mother. Father," Draco greeted them. I cringed at the awkward tension in his voice but his mother just smiled and closed the gap between us in a few long strides.

"My baby boy," she said joyfully as she pulled him into her arms. I tried not to let go of his hand but it would've seemed so clingy and awkward so I settled for letting go and taking it again when she released him.

"And you must be Evangeline!" Narcissa cooed.

I smiled and let out a strangled breath I prayed was too quiet for her to hear.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Malfoy," I said in my steadiest voice.

"Oh please- call me Narcissa! Any friend of Draco's is a friend of mine and I think friends should be on a first name basis, don't you?"

Friend of Draco's? 

Ouch.

"Of course!" I did my best to sound excited by her invitation. Was excitement the right emotion to show? I wasn't quite sure but I thought I was doing alright all things considered.

My nerves were settling with each passing second, although I seemed to have so many that an hour probably wouldn't have been enough to will all of them away. And it certainly didn't help that right then Draco's father decided to stand up and walk over to us. I'd almost forgotten he was in the room as well.

"Draco," Lucius said coldly, he didn't look at me once.

"Father. This is Evangeline," Draco said, his voice had underlying stress that was hardly measurable.

Finally Lucius met my eyes- though it seemed he did it only because he had to.

"Enchanted," he said, bending over at the waist slightly. 

I smiled and bounced my head once in greeting which I regretted immediately.

I was making a fool of myself and probably would've bolted out of the room if it weren't for Draco's hand in mine.

Finally Narcissa broke the silence. "Shall we make our way to dinner then?"