30| What was left behind

Start from the beginning

I went to the store to get outfits for JJ and Sophia, and  got all the supplies for this afternoon. Then, I had to stop at the jewelry store I one more time to get the ring polished.

When I finally came to my senses after confronting my dad, I didn't hesitate and picked out the ring the next day. I made sure to show it to everyone before buying it because I was so nervous she'd hate it.

I have five minutes to get to the restaurant that's fifteen minutes away. I've accepted I'm going to be late, which wouldn't be too much of a big deal if it wasn't for who I'm meeting.

Luckily, traffic isn't too bad and I get there quicker than I had thought.

I take a few minutes to calm myself before heading inside.

Walking in, I search the open dining room, my eyes falling on the nervous man I agreed to meet. He's looking down at his hands, while biting his lip.

I slowly approach the table and sit across from him.

His eyes widen and his mouth falls open when he sees me. "I wasn't sure if you'd come." A relieved smile spreads across his face.

I shift in my seat, I'm still not sure if this is even real. My dad doesn't smile at me, let alone invite me to spend time with him.

"I've been out running errands. It ran a little late." I force a smile back at him. "Sorry about that."

"Oh, no. It's fine. How's the family?"

Almost on instinct, I lose my patience. "Dad, we can't just pretend that we get along. Being sober for five months, doesn't erase everything."

"I know. I want to try. I meant what I said a few months ago."

:::

Group is busier than usual today. Lately, I get here early to help set up, and I try and greet people when they come in. The first few times I came, Ed was at the door with a friendly face, and a look that said, I understand. Honestly, it helped me make it through the door.

"David, would you go get some more chairs from the basement?" the group leader asks.

Nodding, I look around at the few people standing up, silently counting how many chairs I should bring up.

He offers me his name badge. "Here, why don't you take the elevator and just bring up the whole rack, it'll be easier."

Taking the key card from him, I walk to the small elevator, I'm surprised functions. I push the button and wait. The creaking it responds with echos in my ears, as I hear the lift slowly ascend. The doors open, and I tap my pocket to ensure I have my phone with me. It would suck to get stuck in this thing.

Walking into the elevator, the smell reminds me of a nursing home. It shakes as it carries me to the basement.

The door opens, and luckily there is a rack of chairs directly to the left. Wheeling them into the elevator, I ride back up to the main floor.

I make it just in time for group to start. Quickly, I take some chairs off the rack and set them in the circle, while everyone takes turns sharing around the circle.

I multitask, listening and setting up some chairs. Everyone takes turns sharing their name, how long they think they've had a problem, and then the reason they decided to come today. It's a pretty typical way that we start.

The veteran members, usually share a trigger or two they experienced throughout the week, while the newer members usually take longer to share. Once we make it around the circle, then it becomes more structured with discussion questions, sharing personal experiences, and helping each other process things.