26| I still love you

Start from the beginning

His hands fall from my face and he stiffens. I can't interpret the look on his face.

"You're mad." I say with panic rising in my voice.

He looks at me with worry, "God no." He shakes his head. "It's just a shock." He sits down next to me on the couch.

"Yeah." I agree.

"It will be okay." He says "I know you're concerned about my recovery, but you don't have to be."

I bite my lip.

"If anything, it makes my dedication to my recovery even more important." He puts his arm around me and I lean back into his chest. "I need to get better because I refuse to be like my father." He begins to rub my arm up and down with the pads of fingers. I try to ignore the tingling sensations it gives me. "I've already broken a promise to myself once, I'm not doing it again."

I take a deep breath and close my eyes. "I have absolutely no doubt that you will be an amazing dad."

He hums before giving me a kiss on my head. That's the last thing I remember before sleep takes me.

:::

"Did you remember to bring the onesie?" David asks for the upteenth time as we pull into the driveway of Jim and Suzanne's.

"Yes." I chuckle.

"I'm sorry." He says embarrassed. "I just want to make sure the announcement is perfect. I never thought I'd have the opportunity."

I take his hand. "It's okay" I respond. "They're going to love it."

He nods his head before we make our way up to the house.

David puts JJ on his shoulders as I make sure to bring the gift bag.

I hear Suzanne scream, "they're here!" And run out to us.

When we told them about the pregnancy they were so incredibly excited. It was an awkward conversation for me. They didn't understand why David and I were going to have this baby together, but our relationship was still in limbo.

They worry. They want both of us to be happy and they know we love each other. David and I just don't want to cross any lines that may impact how we raise our baby and his recovery.

"What is it? What is it?" Suzanne says jumping up and down.

"Tell them, JJ" David says laughing.

"IT'S A BABY!" JJ yells excitedly.

I giggle. "We haven't told him yet." I clarify. "He wouldn't be able to keep a secret."

"How about we let them get inside first." Jim says smiling.

We sit down in the family room; David and myself on the couch, JJ sitting on Jimmy's lap on a chair and Suzanne in the other chair.

David takes a shaky breath; he's nervous. He hands Jim and Suzanne the gift bag.

Their faces light up after opening the bag.