Chapter 20

They had been introduced to Nico's older sister, and she had warily invited them all inside. She held open the door for them, her pizza slice was slipping from her hand which was frozen in surprise. Sandy watched all of them walk past her, and Rita felt her eyes lingering on her back. On her wings.

I'm a freak, Rita thought glumly

Rita hurried to join the others, Nico had led them to the couch in their living room. There were high ceilings and elegant columns lining the wall every few yards. The walls were painted a soft, solid gold, which was only interrupted by the occasional column. The ceiling was dome shaped, Nico led them to an expensive looking couch that was pure white. They sat down, there was a soft whoosh as Sandy closed the door. She walked into the living room and sat down on the identical couch across from them. She looked at all of them, curiosity in her eyes.

"So, like, what did you people do there that you have wings."

"Well." Cammi said with superiority in her voice. "She's the only bird freak."

Rita looked down at her feet, heat flooding her face as she felt all eyes on her. She could hear her heart pounding, and her blood flowing through her veins. She tried to focus on that, soon her heart slowed down. Half of her mind expected Cole to give her hand a reassuring squeeze, but he didn't. She looked up, he was watching Sandy, a far off expression on his face.

"So like," Sand said "What are the rest of you."

Cammi didn't hesitate to jump up and proclaim herself as the words smartest human once more. Zoe and Seth stood up at the same time and introduced themselves.

There was a pause, Nico didn't say anything. Rita wondered if she would go next and then he could go after her. She opened her mouth to speak, but Nico cut her off;

"I'm not human. I'm not normal." His voice cracked as he continued. "I'm a freak."

Nico hung his head low and began to silently cry. Tears fell onto his lap, his boys began to shake.

"I'm a freak." He sobbed.

Sandy went into automatic big sister mode, she rushed across the small distance and kneeled down before him.

"Mi querida querida que está bein"

Nico's sobs became stifled as she cupped his head in her hands and gently wiped the tears away. She pulled him onto her lap, it was strange to see someone only two years older gently cradle a teenager as if he were a child. Sandy murmured calming words in Spanish to him. Nico's crying subsided, he gasped for breaths and wiped his tears away. He almost looked like a child, sitting on the floor, wiping tears away.
"Dios mío qué pasó?"

Nico sniffed. "La chia dijo que yo era un bicho raro."

Sandy looked up and glared at them.

"Cual?" She asked. Nico raised a shaky finger and pointed to Cammi.

Sandy stood up and marched over to Cammi, Sandy angrily towered over her.

"You called my little brother a freak?" She seethed.

Cammi shrugged as if she had done nothing wrong. "You've gotta admit that it's true."

"I don't care if he's an alien hippie from Pluto; he's my brother and he's not a freak."

"Well, actually, if he were from Pluto then he would be a freak. So yeah. And since he's not human anymore then- Hey! You can't walk off I'm talking to you!"

"I can and I will, in fact, I'm doing it right now." Sandy called over her shoulder as she helped Nico to his feet.

She stopped and turned around when she was several steps up.

"You lot." She said, pointing her finger at them. "C'mon, we have plenty of guest bedrooms to spare."

They grabbed their bags and followed her up the steps. Sandy stopped right before she reached the top.

"And you." She said, motioning to Cammi. "You sleep on the couch."

They walked up the stairs. Rita took her bedroom and unpacked, she plugged in her laptop and other chargers. She unpacked several items and looked through her bag.

"No pajamas." She said aloud. Rita groaned, she pushed open the mahogany door and walked into the hallway. She found the room Sandy had walked into.

Maybe I can borrow a pair

Rita hesitantly raised a hand to knock on the door, but she heard soft footsteps and scrambled away. Sandy opened the door and walked out.

"Hey, it's me. I'm Rita, the bird freak mutation thing. Can I borrow a pair of pajamas?" Sandy looked at her. She shrugged.

"Sure."

Sandy led her to a room down the hall.

She opened the door and led Rita in, she saw that the room had bluish purple color theme with white accents. Sandy walked up to her dresser and pulled out a large stack of clothes.

"I only need one pair." Rita piped up.

Sandy shook her head. "Child, you can't wear that thin in public. You'd be found."

Rita looked down, she was wearing her uniform.

Oh yeah, that thing.

Rita thankfully accepted the clothes along with toiletries. Sandy sat on her bed, and motioned for Rita to join her. Rita sat down and looked at Sandy as she began to talk.

"Now look. I just want to say thank you. For bringing my brother back. He's like, all my parents ever told me to protect. My number one priority. Protecting him is all I know how to do. And in the year and a half he's been gone, I've had free time. It's been amazing, but I felt so empty. So thank you."

Aww, so sweet

"Of course! And we'll leave in the morning so your parents don't find us."

Sandy snorted with laughter. "My parents? They spend more time vacationing then they do at home. They're in China right now, connecting with their 'higher selves'. Stay as long as you need, they won't be coming back anytime soon, trust me."

Rita chuckled.

"Well thanks for that. And by the way, what's been happening while we were gone?"

Sandy paused, fiddling with her shirt.

"Let's see. Um, well. Pluto's a planet. And, season four of Sherlock came out. And let's see, what else. There's been a nationwide panic over something stupid."

Rita nodded thoughtfully.

"Cool."

"Yeah," Sandy said. She looked at Rita's back. Can I um, see your wings?"

Rita blushed, her wings weren't normal, they made her a freak. But she nodded. Rita unfurled them slightly and hear Sandy gasp.

"Wow." She breathed. Rita nodded sheepishly.

"They're weird so sorry about-"

"No, they're amazing. Wonderful. Fantastic."

Rita looked up. The only person who had thought that they were cool had been Cole and Amber. And Amber was dead. But Cole had called them amazing, he had even started to ask her out. She smiled thinking about him. His pale face, his black hair, his tiny dimples when he smiled. She grinned as she thought of him.

"Rita?"

A hand was being waved in front of her face. She jumped but then saw that it was only Sandy.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"You spaced out. But it's time to sleep."

Rita got up and walked to her room.