20- Unlikely Friends

School Monday morning felt so surreal. The dance had only been 3 days ago but it might as well have been a different lifetime. You hadn't run into Josh at all but that was a relief more than a worry. You knew you needed to face him to make sure he knew it was completely over, just not at school. A wave of dread washed over you when you saw Nessa waiting by your locker but you simply turned back the direction you'd come before she noticed you.

 A wave of dread washed over you when you saw Nessa waiting by your locker but you simply turned back the direction you'd come before she noticed you

You ran into Mr. Petrou in the hall who noticed your down mood:
"You doing okay, kiddo?"

Before you could answer, Chase appeared at the end of the hall and your face lit up. He was rushing to his next class but as he jogged passed you, he spun back around winking at you with a smile.

Mr Petrou: *laughing*
"Yeah, you're doing just fine."

Before school was released you got the notification that cheer was canceled for the day. The last thing you wanted was to face all the girls. Any sense of relief dropped when you looked up and saw Nessa leaning against your car.

Nessa: "I know you're mad at me, but could you possibly-"

You: *not hesitating to interrupt*
"No."

Nessa: "You can't stay mad at me forever. I'm your best friend. Besides, it's just a ride."

You climbed in your car, intent on not saying another word but she had walked around and knocked on the driver's window.

You: *through gritted teeth*
"Get away from my car. Now!"

Nessa: "Please. You have to let me explain. I never meant for that to happen, I swear."

You: *rolling your window down*
"Look, I'm sure you have some big speech planned but truth is, I just don't care. I don't care about you or Josh or what you two have been doing behind my back for God-knows how long. I just don't have any energy left to care.

Nessa stood in shock as you revved the engine and put the car in drive.

You: "So please, for the love of God, get the heII away from my car."

Nessa stepped back, jaw dropped as you sped off and out of the lot. No one had ever seen you be that assertive and she didn't know how to react.

*JADEN'S POV*

He noticed Nessa sitting on the curb in the school parking lot after football practice ended. Cheer had been canceled 2hrs ago so he couldn't figure out why she was there still.

Nessa: *seeing Jaden approach*
"Not now, Jaden. I'm not in the mood."

Jaden: *noticing her tear stained face*
"Well, I'm not leaving you on the side of the road... I thought I'd proved that. C'mon I'll drive you home.

Jaden climbed in the car and and looked over to see that Nessa hadn't budged. He pulled it slowly over to where she was still sitting and rolled down the window.

Jaden: "Will you quit being a brat and just climb in."

Nessa finally sulked over to the passenger side of the car:
"Fine."

Once he made it up to a speed that he didn't have to worry about her bailing out of the car, he decided to just go for it.

Jaden: "I know about you and Josh..."

Nessa: "He's telling people? That jerk!"

Jaden: "Calm down, he didn't even show up to school today. Did you forget I'm friends with his girlfriend who busted you?"

Nessa: "He swore no one would find out. I'm so stupid."

Jaden: "No offense, but this is high school. Secrets don't keep long. What were you thinking?"

Nessa: "I wasn't. I've just been so all over the place lately."

Jaden: "I know what I said to you at the dance didn't help but turning to Josh was a huge mistake

Jaden: "I know what I said to you at the dance didn't help but turning to Josh was a huge mistake."

Nessa: "Well you're wrong. What you said about me isn't even true."

Jaden: "Ness..."

Nessa: "Okay fine, it bothered me."

Jaden: "I think you're so scared of being judged that you went and slept with the guy who objectives women to prove that you'd rather be an object than what you actually are-"

Nessa: *choking out a whisper*
"Gay."

Jaden looked over in shock that she'd admitted it only to find Nessa breaking down. He pulled to the side of the road and pulled her into his arms. Nessa couldn't control her heavy sobs as he rubbed her back to calm her. His phone rang and he tossed it into his cup holder, letting it ring:
"It's your girlfriend. Do you need to get that?"

Jaden: "No, it's ok. She knows I'm with you. I'll call back in a bit."

Nessa: "Does she know a- about me?"

Jaden: "She knows you're going through something and I'm your friend, that's it. I meant what I said, I won't tell anyone without your ok."

Nessa: "I'm not ashamed to like girls, ya know? Girls are dope. It's just dealing with judgy people here at school."

Jaden: "Can I ask you a questi-"

Nessa: "Yes, I like guys too. Just mostly girls. I don't know... I figure I have college to figure that out."

Jaden: "I was actually gonna ask if you really did like Mads or if I was misreading things."

Nessa: "Don't get me wrong, she's hot af. I just need to focus on myself probably before I bring someone else into it so I'm not actually looking for anyone.."

Jaden: "Thank god."

Nessa: *giggling*
"Scared of a little competition?"

Jaden: *rolling his eyes, playfully as he buckles her back in*
"Oh shut up. Let's get some food before I drop you off."