Hundred Forty Six

Beginne am Anfang

"Got it. My fault," Elly takes another drag before sitting up, "So? Any major plans over the summer? Now that, you know, your dad's out the way?"

"Meh. Not like...extreme plans. I actually have some school-related things to do if I'm being honest. We have one competition for robotics this summer."

"Seriously? Kid, do you ever take a break?"

Benjamin shrugs. "Uhh Nah. If my brain stops working for too long I start to get the shakes like a recovery addict-."

Elly looks over at him, considering what happened to him a few months prior, along with her sister.

Benjamin closes his mouth and covers his eyes with his hands. "I-... That was tone-deaf. Sorry."

Elly laughs it off. "What are you guys doing for Noah's birthday?"

"Hm. Well...Everyone will be out of town so...I'll probably plan a big dinner or something."

"That's nice."

Noah walks into the house, holding a foil pan in his hands. He smiles. "The food is done."

**
The group ate dinner together, talking endlessly about everything, and nothing.

The group was now in the living room, having the same endless conversation.

Jazmyne shrugs her shoulders, looking over at Benjamin. "Well...Do you think you'll go and see it? Her...Sorry."

Benjamin sits up, taking a sip from his beer. "I dunno. We're only half related but...I dunno if I could stand being around my dad for too long."

Lucas shakes his head. "I say don't do it...Don't. What if you get attached to your sister?"

"I doubt that'll happen. If I just see her for a few minutes. But then again, I'm so worried he's gonna mistreat her."

"Yeah. He's gonna have a field day if she turns out like me." Elly brings her beer bottle up to her mouth.

Benjamin lets out a soft chuckle. "Yeah...What about you? You going to see your mom anytime soon?"

Elly lays back against the couch, bringing her feet up. "Big pass. Maybe in a few years but...I still get that feeling when I see her, you know?"

"Yeah. I get that."

Noah clears his throat. "Damn. When did this become a cry session? The fuck?"

Gabi laughs at him. "Benjamin and I do this all the time. We just sit and air out all our problems, cry for a while, drink, eat a bunch of snacks, and eventually fall asleep."

Jazmyne's mouth widens and then turns into a smile. "Uhm, J better be invited next time?!"

Lucas's eyes widen as if he'd never expected to hear that. "Y'all do that for fun? How is that enjoyable?"

Benjamin smiles. "Because Lucas. You're not supposed to hold in things. It's bad for you mental. And it honestly feels great afterward."

Noah sits back and sets his hand on Benjamin's thigh. "Wha-... How?"

"Try it." Benjamin shrugs and faces Noah. "Tell the group about something bothering you or...Someone that's made you upset recently."

Noah shrugs. "I don't...? I don't understand how this works."

Jazmyne perks up. "Lemme try! Uh...I've been really down in the dumps lately because Jade and Tati have been really distant. Which usually we can be distant and then get right back to where we usually were, but recently it's been weird."

Lucas frowns. "Tati talks about you all the time."

"And says what?"

"That you guys are taking time to find yourselves...And it's put a pause in our friend group."

"Yeah...it sucks...And it's really hard but...I love those girls with everything in me, you know?"

Elly frowns and wraps her arm around Jazmyne's shoulder. She leans in and kisses her twice. "It's alright, mamas."

She looks over at Benjamin and Gabi. "Remind me again how this is enjoyable?"

Jazmyne wipes under her eyes and shrugs. "It felt good to get it out...Who's next?"

Noah finally spoke, after nobody answered for a few seconds. "I guess I can go...I mean I'm not like upset. You guys know I don't really let shit bother me but...This school shit is stressing me out."

Lucas nods. "Tell me about. What part?"

"Applying to college and...Not knowing if I'm gonna be able to pay it off cause...Financial aid can only do so much and...My parents...Fuck, they barely make ends meet."

Elly shakes her head. "Can't you get a scholarship, though? To help?"

"I guess but...Fuck, I don't even know how that shit works. People be explaining it to me and I'm just like...dumbfounded."

"Good thing you have a nerdy boyfriend, right?"

Noah smiles and looks over at Benjamin, nodding. "Yes...you've helped...de-stress this situation a lot. I just...Don't wanna bother my family...It's too hard on them."

Lucas nods in agreement. "That's probably my 'issue' too. Dad is awol again and...My mom can't handle Imani by herself. I dunno, if I'm gonna, leave next year."

"What would you do then?"

Lucas shrugs. "Not sure...Maybe just...Get a job somewhere and live off that until my mom can get back on her feet. Plus, people take gap years all the time."

Gabi nods her head. "I'd be happy to help anyone. I know I can't like...pay your tuition but...I'm always here for help."

Lucas sighs and wipes under his eyes. "Fuck. That's nice, Gabi."

Noah clears his throat. "Who's next?"

**
The group had fallen asleep way past four am. They all shared various secrets and stories about themselves.

They all had a moment where they were just saying how appreciative they were of each other and how grateful they were to have such a tight-fit group.

Though, they probably won't remember much as they finished nearly three bottles of wine, alongside their beers they also had.

Benjamin was the last one awake, cleaning up the mess everyone had made. He rinses the last wine glass, setting it down into the dish rack.

He looks over at the group, almost laughing at his Lucas was sprawled out across the floor. He'd never felt happier in his life.

**