FIVE

( 05 一 STORY TIME. )

As Clara was standing closest to Zu, she wrapped her body around Zu's smaller frame, protecting her from any glass. A few shards cut Clara's arms, some of the smaller pieces getting wedged in her exposed skin. Blood started to trickle down but Clara rubbed it away, wincing when her hand brushed the glass pieces.

Another bullet slammed into the van sending them all forward. Clara moved to help Zu crouch behind a seat as a third bullet wedged itself into the van doors. Clara stowed Zu away safely before moving to the front of the van, her blood thundering in her ears.

The van was swerving all around the road in an attempt to lose the car tailing them, but as Clara looked back she realised there were now two cars trailing them. "I told you it was her!" Chubs cried. "Yes, I know, I know I was wrong," Liam replied.

"What on earth are you doing now," Chubs asked. "Well, I'm trying to concentrate," Liam snapped back. Clara realised that he was trying to use his abilities. He huffed in frustration as he fell back onto his seat.

Turning around to Ruby and Clara he questioned, "Can either of you drive?" Now Clara knew it was stupid, she knew it down to her damn bones. But she always wanted to drive a car. When her dad left and she cried to her mother about how she would never learn to drive her mother promised her she would teach her when she was older. Clara now knew that her mother would have been too high to even be allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle but she still wanted to drive. It still meant something to her.

"I can, I'm a brilliant driver," Clara sounded back confidently. If she was confident in her answer they'd have no reason to doubt her capabilities. Ruby stared at her incredulously.

Now to say that Clara could drive may have been a bit of an overstatement, however she really really wanted to.

"Okay, hop up here to the driver's seat," Liam said. Clara clambered over the seats to get to the front.

"Okay can you just give me a quick refresher?" Clara asked. "Jesus," Chubs whispered. Once the refresher was over Clara stepped on the gas, hard. It was a bit more anticlimactic than she had hoped for seeing as it took about a 100 years to pick up speed but she would take what she could get. Clara had soon come to realise that she was, in fact, a terrible driver. This was only exaggerated as one of the tires blew out.

"That's good, just keep going at that speed," Liam shouted over the sound of the wind. Clara looked in the rearview mirror just in time to see a massive tree hurtling right into one of the car's paths. It tried to swerve but ended up rolling onto its side.

Clara gasped at the sight. She may not have liked him but Martin was still in the car. He didn't deserve that, to finally taste freedom only to have it ripped away from him. Clara turned to glare at Liam. "Was that really necessary? There was a kid in that car." He turned to look at her with a remorseful expression, "I know but what else could we do, there's still a chance they survived.