5 - The Fairies

(Been proofread)

"This is an abomination." My father spat.

We were all seated around a large oval table. By all, I was referring to myself, my father, Cressida, Calla and lastly, Demetrius.

My father ordered the meeting on the grounds of 'a break of the treaty conditions' of which Demetrius was more than willing to attend. He had tried to approach me when he arrived but my father stood between the distance and urged me to take my seat at the table. But his eyes never left my figure as he too took a seat across the table, his gaze didn't even falter when my father spoke to him just now, but I winced in his place. My father thought it was an abomination that I had a soulmate, a werewolf at that.

I didn't necessarily disagree with him, but the idea that I had this soulmate waiting to cross paths my entire life made me feeling giddy inside, like all the boys who had disappointed me growing up no longer hurt my ego to think about.

"I don't expect any less from a werewolf, but my own daughter to betray the Pride like this, to betray me like this." He yelled. "Do you have no shame for yourself." He looked right at me as he said it, I lowered my head in submission of my father's rage. I agreed, this situation would bring great shame to my family from our clan, there was a unanimous disliking for the werewolf race among all werecats, if this knowledge reached their ears, I may not even be welcome to come back to the pride after this.

Demetrius let out a challenging snarl as my head lowered. "You don't get to make the calls about this, Darren. " He bit back. "And you don't get to speak to her that way anymore." He added, there was a screeching sound as the legs of a chair was dragged against the floorboards and I looked up to watch my father get out of his seat.

"I will not have a filthy mutt be the one to tell me what I can and cannot do. Because of your barbaric nature the treaty is now void, I will throw you through that wall." My father threatened, Demetrius stood up from his own seat, his much larger frame stood taller than my father did, as he stared him down, his icy blue eyes darkening significantly.

"That is enough, no one is to be thrown through my walls." Cressida spoke up, she pulled her wand out from her hair and pointed it between the two men. "If you both don't sit back down in your seats I will have no choice but to put you both in your place." She interjected. There was a moment of silent before my father pull back his chair and took a seat, Demetrius following suit with extra caution, his eyes never wavering from my father.

I wanted to place my hand on his as he rested it on the table, the thought of doing so in hopes he would calm down enough to act rationally overcame me and my hand twitched. Should I reach over and touch him? What if he got madder? The last thing I said to him I called him a mutt.

But he defended me just now against my father, he surely couldn't still be mad at me. With caution I brought my arm up over the table and began to reach out for Demetrius. In a second my wrist was clenched by my father who tossed my arm back into my direction harshly, I cheeks went hot in embarrassment.

"Luckily no condition in the treaty has been broken." Cressida announced, my father went to argue but she silenced him quickly. "The rule states that the two species can not mate together. They have not mated, they are soulmates, it's an entire different precedent and clearly not one your ancestors were betting would happen when they agreed to this treaty."

"How did this happen?" I blurted, this was the first time I had spoken. I spoke quietly as if I didn't want the spotlight on me, but this entire meeting was about me.

Cressida pressed the tip of her wand against her cheek and cocked her head to the side. "My safest guess is that it was sheer coincidence, a mix up in the coding when the moon goddess was assigning Alpha Renwick a soulmate. Although I've never seen this happen in all my years as the High Priestess." She trailed off, as if caught in her own mind.