Chapter Eight: The Plan

Braedey, Andrea, Tyler, and Orion all made their way back to Dr. Brown's house, fortunately without leading anyone over. As they entered the garage, they could hear something over on the TV. They walked up and they could see Doc listening to the video Braedey had recorded before they went back to 1985.

"Doc?" Braedey called, getting his attention.

"Oh, hi, kids." Dr. Brown stood up and walked over to them. "I didn't hear you come in. Fascinating device, this camera unit."

"Listen, Doc." Braedey remembered an uneasy memory. "You know, there's something we haven't told you about the night we made that tape-"

"Please, don't tell me." Dr. Brown walked away, adjusting a copper hook. "No man should know too much about his own destiny."

"Doc! You don't understand!" Andrea gasped.

"This is a matter of life and death." Orion added in.

"I do understand." Dr. Brown countered back. "If I know too much about my own future, I can endanger my own existence. Just as Tyler's endangered his."

"Yeah. You're right." Braedey sighed.

"Now," Dr. Brown walked to a scale model of the town square. "Let me show you my plan for sending you home. Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have enough time to build it to scale or paint it." He said to them.

"It's pretty good." Braedey was thrilled about the replication, even if it wasn't too perfect.

"Yeah. Nice job." Orion agreed.

"Oh, thank you." Dr. Brown began to explain. "Now, we run some industrial strength electrical cable from the top of the clock tower, down, suspending it over the street between these two lamp posts."

Doc now showed off a metal pole with a copper hook at the end nearby the car

Doc now showed off a metal pole with a copper hook at the end nearby the car. "Meanwhile, we've outfitted the time vehical with this big pole and hook which runs directly into the flux capacitor." He next held up a red car to explain, moving the car down the road towards the cable. "At the calculated moment, you start off from down the street, driving directly toward the cable, accelerating to 88 miles per hour. According to the flyer, at precisely 10:04PM, this Saturday night, lightning will strike the Clock Tower, electrifying the cable, just as the connecting hook makes contact, thereby sending the 1.21 gigawatts into the flux capacitor, and sending you all back to 2015." He handed Andrea the toy car. "Alright now, watch this. You wind up the car and release it." Andrea started to wind up the car as instructed. "I'll simulate the lightning."

"How?" Tyler asked.

Dr. Brown now plugged in an electrical plug into the wall, slid down a pair of goggles over his eyes, handing a pair to the boys, and adjusted some jumpers cables. "Ready..." He said to Andrea, who nodded, the boys giving a thumbs-up. Doc puts one clamp on the fake lamppost. "Set..." He counted down, Andrea putting down the car on the model road, as Doc held the other clip up at the clock tower. "Release!" He commanded.