Ch.2 Tryouts

After a very long drive back to the Yale dorms, Andrew and I ran up the stairs to our room. Josh was sitting on the couch, his knee bouncing up and down. He saw us both come in, and he sprang to his feet.

"So? How did it go?" He asked nervously.

"Well..... I'll be seeing you in Colorado in a week to try out for the-"

Before I could finish, Josh sprinted at me and squeezed me so tightly I couldn't breath.

"Y/N/N, I can't believe it! Should we start training tomorrow?" Josh asked excitedly.

"Sounds good to me." I say

Andrew agreed.

"Sweet, I'm going to call my dad about this, so I'll see you in the morning."

My dad was my role model in life. He's taught me everything I know and has done anything he can of making my dream of making the NHL become a reality. He has no idea about this and is going to flip when he finds out.

I went to our phone and punched in the number. I hear it ring, and my dad picks up the phone.

"Hey, Y/N/N why are you calling this late? Are you alright?"

"Yes dad, I'm fine, but I have something to tell you?"

"Oh god what? did you get a boyfriend or something? What's his name Andrew?"

"Ew dad no! It's actually something amazing."

"Just spit it out!"

"Okay! Okay! Herb Brooks is letting me try out for his U.S. Olympic team!"

"Holy shit Y/N that's awesome! I'm so proud of you whether you make it or not. Just always
know that I will be proud."

"Thanks dad."

"Love you sweetie"

"Love you too, bye."

"Bye."

When I hung up the phone, I knew he really was as proud as he said he was. He realized that all of his hard work has paid off, and now his daughter might play in the Olympics. Even though he didn't show it, I just know that he teared up on the other end of the line. I will never forget this moment.

It was getting pretty late, so I head to bed to get some rest for training tomorrow.

The next morning instead of going for our daily run we woke up early for training. We entered the rink and see that the other boys who had been chosen were training as well. We had to be very productive, so we could still get in our classes. We mainly worked on technique, and I did a lot of shooting drills so I could help Josh train as well. After our classes we went back to training and prep. We did this for hours everyday for a week until it was time to go to Colorado.

All of us took a bus to the tryouts and stayed in a hotel as we would be there for a week. Coach had excused us from our classes during this time, and I was very thankful for that.

We arrived at the rink where tryouts were being held, and it was packed with people. Men at that. Josh, Andrew, and I hauled our gear into the building, and I got a ton of weird looks. They probably thought I didn't stand a chance.

We went through the registration process, which was the most tedious, then we were able to go get changed. There wasn't a place for me to change privately, so I had to do it in front of a bunch of dudes. I got a bunch of hopeful looks from guys who wanted to see me strip, but luckily for me, I have been in this situation many times, so I came prepared. I already had my base layer on under my clothes so no one had to see me in my underwear. Thank God.