4 - Soulmates

(Been proofread)

Madeline's POV

My usual boisterous personality was shadowed after I met Demetrius, the warmth that spread through me when our hands touched overwhelmed me in a way that had me cowering, how could one person emit so much body heat?

Demetrius was a perfect image of masculinity, and this intimidated me to my core. How old was the Werewolf king? I wondered as I remember studying his features.

I spent the rest of the night avoiding any further altercations with the Werewolf king, afraid of the outburst that would occur if we crossed paths once again. My father wasn't pleased, he wore a sourpuss expression for the rest of the duration of the ball, obviously disappointed in the circumstances that previously transpired, that were my fault.

It was close to eleven in the night when there was a clang of glass against glass and in unison the chatting amongst leaders and their relatives died to a close as we turned to face the High Priestess standing on box by the entryway of the ballroom.

"This has been a wonderful evening and I am so pleased you all could join me tonight on such short notice." She greeted, there were smiles all around as everyone watched Cressida say her speech.

The Divine Coven has no enemies, no species that resented them and no species that they resented, aside from fairies, that was why they were so well respected in our society and why the High Priestess herself was regarded as the leader of leaders, the big bad bitch herself.

"It's not often I call a meeting, as you know. But there was some rather extraordinary news that I would like to share with you all and although this was supposed to be declared over a dinner, I will have to make due now with what we have. I'm retiring."

All too quickly there were gasps resounding the walls of the ballroom, the shock flew through the air and I stood next to my father, confused. The High Priestess giggled and took a sip of her drink, I think it was some expensive wine, not like the kind Mika had be downing all night long. "I've been in office for the last eight centuries, I've watched leader after leader sit at my table, bare children to replace them and the cycle repeats and now I think it's my turn."

"You're a bit old to have kids don't you think Cressida?" The Vampire leader, Zaros, called out. The group laughed, including Cressida and I couldn't help but join in with a light giggle. He wasn't wrong, Cressida wasn't exactly in the perfect shape to be knocked up.

"Yes you're correct Zaros, but my heir has already been chosen and could unfortunately not make it tonight for ball, but will be attending the dinner tomorrow night. This is a momentous occasion and one that will not occur again until your great great GREAT grandchildren are probably old and frail like me. So drink, dance and celebrate because I know that I will." She finished, calling an end to her speech as she tipped back her glass and downed the rest of the soft yellow alcoholic beverage.

The crowd cheered for her before going back to discussing separately with one another to fawn over the news, music started playing softly in the background and the lights dimmed ever so slightly to get an atmosphere perfect for the occasion.

I watched as Zaros approached his wife and held out his hand for her to take, she gave him her hand and he kissed her knuckle lightly before pulling her into his embrace to began swaying slowly to the music, it made my heart flutter to see a love so passionate.

"I heard you tripped over your own feet." Mika came up to my side and rested her arm on my shoulder for support. Mika was much taller than I was and could rest her arm comfortably much to my disliking. "Way to embarrass the family." She added.