8: Beck Manipulates Us

(Peter's POV)~

"By the way, Y/N and I aren't 21." I said once we settled down in a bar nearby. I casually sipped on a soda, and I looked over to her. She was staring at her glass full of it, and the ice cubes were starting to melt. Y/N been silent ever since we defeated the Elemental. I reached over to hold her hand. "Hey, what's wrong, are you okay?"

"Oh, Peter." I felt her jump from the slightest touch. "It's uh, nothing...Please, don't worry about it." She smiled at me, but I frowned at her. I don't get what's been going on with her, and I'm really worried.

"Come on, you two. We've got to celebrate!" Beck cut through our conversation. He clapped a hand on my shoulder and I grinned.

I looked back over to Beck, but I didn't want to. Y/N looked really upset and she went back to being distant.

"We all did something good tonight."

"Fury was right." I said suddenly. "Y/N dad did a lot for me and her, so I owe it to him. I owe it to her and to everybody."

"Do you?" Beck asked, his eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. Y/N looked over to listen in on the conversation. I squeezed her hand, but she didn't squeeze back. That's definitely not a good sign.

"Yeah...Mr. Stark, gave me the chance to do more. I mean, he wanted me to be better than him...and Fury just wants me to live up to that-"

"What do you want, Peter?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Beck changed his tone conversationally, "I mean, what do you want?"

Was this a trick question? "I don't know."

"I mean, you, Peter Parker, what do you want now? I know you're thinking about it-"

Oh, that's what he meant. "I want to go on my trip." I interrupted, speaking up a bit more. "Right? We wanted to do this with our friends. Me and Y/N have been looking forward to this trip, and we thought that it would be a good way to spend time together. I even had this plan to take her and kiss her on top of the Eiffel Tower." They both paused for a moment and started giggling. "Shut up, you two..." I pouted and blushed in embarrassment.

"Peter, you could've kissed me anytime you wanted to." She said, leaning over my shoulder. "I'm not stopping you."

"I wanted it to be romantic, though..." I said and I felt my cheeks burn.

"Okay, so...What's stopping you from doing any of that?" Beck asked.

"We just can't..." I sighed. "We've got too much to deal with right now." A woman came by and was talking in a different language that we couldn't understand. She looked down and crouched to pick up the Edith glasses and handed it to me. "Oh my god, thank you so much."

"What are those?" Beck perked up. "Are those-?"

Y/N reached over and took them from me. "The Edith glasses." she said, proudly. "It's supposed to be in my care-"

"Hang on a second, Y/N." Beck interrupted, and she frowned. "Put those on, Peter. Let's see how they look on you." Y/N was hesitant after she and Beck glared a bit at each other. Did something happen between those two? She handed me back the glasses and sat back in her chair.

Beck looked at me in surprise. "I actually really like them." I said, smiling.

"Can I be completely honest with you?" Beck asked with a look of realization.

"Please."

"You look really stupid."

I heard Y/N stifle a chuckle beside me. Even if she's upset, she still manages to enjoy me being in pain.

"Oh." I said.

"Maybe there's a contact lens' version of them?"

"Here, you try them on!" I said, offering them to Beck. He was shaking his head and laughing.

"Uhm, Peter, I don't think this is such a good idea..." Y/N tried to cut through, and she sounded concern. I tried to playfully fight with Beck. He finally put them on, and I exchanged looks with Y/N. I couldn't help but noticed he had similar features.

"What are you two thinking?" Beck asked, looking back and forth between me and her.

"You look just like Tony Stark." I said, then I remembered the note in the case: "For the next Tony Stark, I trust you."

"He'll never be him, Peter..." Y/N silently said, and she turned back in her seat to look away.

I turned to her, "Your dad left me a message with those glasses: for the next Tony Stark."

"I'm still not following," Beck said, shaking his head. "How many lemonades have you had?"

"He knew every mistake I ever made, okay?" I started to say, turning back to Beck. "Mr. Stark must've known that I was not ready for something like this."

"Why would he give it to you, then?" Beck asked. "Shouldn't he have given it to Y/N?"

"Maybe because he didn't trust me to have Edith. Maybe he trusted me to pick who should. It makes so much more sense-"

"Peter, this is ridiculous." Y/N said, and I turned to her. "My dad picked you. Of course, he trusted you. Have you not been listening when I said he had a lot of faith in-?"

I continued with my theory. This just proves everything. Now I understand! "He wouldn't have given it to you because you've only been with your dad for a couple years."

"You're probably right about that." Beck shrugged in agreement.

"Right!" I said, "The world needs the next Iron Man, and it's not going to be me. I mean, I'm an 18 year old kid from Queens. It needs to be an adult with some experience and that's good like Tony Stark, like you!"

"Peter!" Y/N abruptly said again, "Come on. You can't be serious. The glasses are in our hands. You act like I'm not a Stark and don't know what I'm talking about."

Beck handed me the glasses and I called out to Edith.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"Doing the right thing, Y/N." I said.

"Hello, Peter." the glasses lit up.

"Hi, yeah, uh...I'd like to transfer your control to Quentin Beck?" I asked, and Y/N tried to grab at the glasses, but I stopped her.

"Any transfer will require confirmation."

"My dad gave YOU the glasses, Pete!" She repeated in an angry tone.

"Your dad gave ME a choice. It's MY choice to make, Y/N. Not yours, and your dad's not here anymore, and you don't have the jurisdiction!" I yelled back. She looked right at me and her face fell. I saw a tear form in her right eye. She quickly grabbed her backpack and hurried out of the bar. "Y/N, wait, I'm sorry-!" I started to call out for her, but she was already gone. I turned back to Beck, and he was shocked. "I'm sorry you had to hear that...Uhm, Mr. Stark would want you to have them..."

"Waiting for confirmation..."

"Confirm." I commanded. I handed Beck the glasses and said, "Welcome to the Avengers."

Beck put them back on after looking back at the door Y/N left through and then looked back at me.

"T-they look good on you..." I shook his hand and he thanked me.

"It's an honor." Beck said.

"Mr. Stark would've liked you."

I stood up and grabbed my backpack and was ready to hurry after Y/N.

"Where you headed?" Beck asked.

"I have to go and apologize."

"Good luck, kid. I'll give you a 50-50% chance, you're pretty awkward, and she really loves you. I hope things will work out for you both." He smiled at me and I started heading out into the city of Prague.